Hustle | Chapter 15

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

15

Overboard

"What do you mean Jimmy's gone?" Ellie listened to Jacob as he spoke to someone on his cell phone. She leaned closer to the window of the wheelhouse, ducking down to ensure she wouldn't be spotted.

For the most part, she and Jacob had avoided each other since their ridiculous conversation, but that didn't mean she hadn't been watching what he was doing while being trapped on this boat with him.

It doesn't mean I trust him.

"Bill, don't tell me he's skipped town. We need to find out what he's up to."

She frowned.

Is Jimmy okay?

"So he left the hotel. Where did he go next?" Jacob paused for a moment. "How can you not know? He can't just disappear!"

She knew all too well how easily Jimmy could make himself disappear, but why would he?

"What girl?"

She peeked over the edge of the window when Jacob's voice went silent. He was standing near the helm, looking out across the ocean. He held the phone to his ear with his back to her. She stared at his free hand as he rested it on the wheel. Her eyes traveled up his tanned arm to the rolled-up sleeve of the crisp white shirt he was wearing. The shirt was tight across his back, clearly one size too small for his broad shoulders.

One good thing about the boat had been that there were clothes on board. Ellie and Jacob didn't know whose clothes they were, just that they were men's. Ellie had ended up in a giant blue shirt and denim shorts that were held up by a piece of rope for a belt while her own clothes were hanging from a line, drying off after being washed.

She ducked down low again when Jacob started to turn his head. "How do you know she's not just someone he picked up?"

It has to be Cheryl that he's talking about. Jimmy doesn't talk to girls unless they're online.

"You think it's Meyer?"

She frowned. She tried to put two and two together. Half a conversation wasn't much to go on, but it sounded as if Cheryl worked for Meyer.

God, what kind of mess is Jimmy in because of me? Is he okay?

"Isla Precosia? Wait a minute." There was a sound of rustling paper. She peeked over the window frame again to see Jacob leaning over a map, studying it. "I'm really close. If they've gone there, I can probably pick them up and have a matched set."

A matched set? Does he mean me and Jimmy? Jimmy's on the island! What the hell is he doing there?

"I dunno, but she's not talking much."

Jacob laughed. "Oh, really? Well, I don't think you know very much about women."

Ellie rolled her eyes.

"I am not!" Jacob shook his head. "You've no idea what you're talking about."

She sank back against the wall of the cabin, tuning out part of the conversation.

I need to get to that island.

Jacob's laugh interrupted her thoughts. "You seriously think I'm stupid enough to fall for some two-bit criminal with the seduction skills of a frog?"

She narrowed her eyes.

"Of course, she's a criminal. She uses sex to get what she wants. I think I can handle her. I need you to meet us though if Meyer's heading there."