Heist | Chapter 3

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

Heist By Claire Chilton

3

Sexy Minx

Ellie hurried across the hotel grounds towards her living quarters. The staff accommodation was in a small block of apartments that were behind the spa. She frowned as she crossed the manicured lawns.

Maybe I shouldn't have said yes to a date.

Although the rebellion had felt good at the time, she couldn't shake the feeling that she'd just done something royally stupid.

She rolled the earbud between her fingers, glancing down at it.

I really should put it back in and talk to Jimmy and my dad.

She continued rolling the device between her fingers. She loved her family, but she wanted to be a bit reckless. She knew she was supposed to be responsible now, but she never went on dates. Hot dates just didn't happen in her existence.

One night off can't hurt, right?

She crossed an ornate, Japanese-style bridge, smiling down at the koi pond beneath it. Being free to date without Jimmy or her dad in her ear was a nice break from the crazy.

And Matt seems like fun.

Okay, he wasn't causing the wild and crazy thrill that scaling buildings and breaking into vaults did, but the room certainly heated up when he was around. It was something that she wanted to experience.

She narrowed her eyes for a moment. As long as it didn't interfere with the con, why couldn't she be a girl for once? Making a decision to live a little, she dropped the earbud into the pocket of her apron. Then she double-checked that the portable hard drive was still in there, breathing a sigh when she found that it was.

She needed to check through the hard drive. But assuming it contained what she'd been looking for, she could enjoy a rock concert tonight and worry about her job in the morning.

Determined to enjoy her newfound freedom, she headed towards her temporary accommodation, smiling at the thought of a date. Sure, it was some girly shit that she was feeling, but Jimmy and her dad would just have to get used to it. She was a girl. It was about time she felt like one. They weren't girls. They'd never understand.

Ellie jumped when there was a knock at the door. She quickly checked her outfit in the mirror. She shook her head.

Why didn't I bring more clothes with me?

Her skinny black jeans and leather biker jacket were great for breaking into things, but she wasn't sure they were ideal for a first date. She chewed her bottom lip as she glanced down at her scuffed biker boots.

Fuck it. He'll like me as I am, or he can get lost.

She hurried to the door, trying to control her racing pulse.

At least I'm not wearing that bloody maid's uniform.

She swung open the door, hoping that her nerves would calm down. It was ironic that she could break into a guarded building without breaking a sweat, but a date with a boy caused her body to go into nervous shock.

Matt lounged in the doorway, wearing a loose white shirt and blue jeans. He looked as if he'd stepped out of a magazine. His hair curled around his collar, which was open, revealing a small V of tanned collarbone. She met his seaweed-green eyes, and then shyly glanced down as her pulse began to race at the sight of him.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with me?

"Hey."

She glanced up at the sound of his voice, blushing when he flashed a wicked smile.

"Hi," she said. She tried to think of something to say, but clearly his presence had given her an instant lobotomy.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

She nodded, grabbing her keys off the nearby dresser while trying to think of something to say that wouldn't make her sound like a total idiot. The problem was that she knew nothing about him.

Shoulda done my research.

"You look amazing." He smiled, brushing his fingers across the lapel of her jacket.

"Oh, er, thanks. You too." She closed her eyes for a moment.

Jesus fuck, will you say something interesting before he goes into a coma?

"Um, do you like leather?" She froze after the words came out of her mouth.

Oh god, no.

His eyes widened, and he coughed out a laugh. "That's the best first date line I've ever heard." He laughed again. He slipped beside her and placed his arm around her waist, leaning close and winking at her. "Do you want me to?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"That's not what I meant!" Her face burned with embarrassment.

"Hey, I'm open-minded." He grinned.

"I'm not!" She thought she might be about to have some kind of seizure.

Please god, let me say something that isn't slapped with the stupid stick first.

"Maybe I should lose my clothes."

He exploded with laughter.

"I meant change my clothes, wear a different jacket..." She trailed off, trying to find the right words. "Sorry." She shook her head.

Great. He's going to think I'm a dumb cow rather than a sexy minx.

He squeezed her waist, offering her a warm smile. "You're perfect, just as you are."

Author's Note

I hope you're enjoying this story. More chapters coming soon, hopefully, sort of when the bugs on my account are fixed.