Hustle | Chapter 4

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

4

The Getaway

Ellie forced herself not to fidget as she stood in line for the security check at Manchester Airport. She watched Jimmy put his laptop on the conveyer belt in front of her. The only worry he displayed was concern over what the X-ray machine would do to his precious baby, but Jimmy wasn't currently wanted by the police.

Even with her hair lightened to a soft chestnut with blonde highlights and the quick spray tan she'd given herself, she worried that she would be recognized

Just chill. It'll be fine. You know people only see what they want to.

She glanced down at her passport. It was the first one she'd owned with her real name in it. It was a fake—Jimmy had taken the new photo after her transformation—but she was using her real name for once. The name 'Ellie Phillips' had never been connected with any illegal activity. Since what she was about to do wasn't a crime, it was the safest name to use. It was only her face that could be a problem. She was looking forward to getting through security, so she could put her sunglasses back on.

Her pulse raced as Jimmy stepped through the metal detector. Once he got through security without a hitch and collected his things, he shot a glance back at her. She glimpsed a note of worry in his eyes.

Great, we both think I'm screwed.

She dropped her duffle bag onto the conveyer without glancing at it. Then she walked to the metal detector. Under the gaze of airport security, she hurried through the frame, feeling like an animal at the zoo. She had no concerns about the metal detector, but the scrutiny was making her insides curl up.

What if they recognize me?

It took her a few seconds to realize the metal detector was bleeping.

What the hell?

She had been careful to avoid wearing anything metal because she wanted to get through security as quickly as possible.

I didn't even put on earrings!

A male security guard pointed her towards a female colleague. He seemed bored. Ellie was mildly relieved.

"Lift your arms, please." Ellie lifted her arms as the woman swept a metal-detecting wand over her body. It crackled near her left boob. She peered down at the tiny pocket in her checked shirt.

"Could you empty that pocket, please."

Ellie frowned and pulled a pack of chewing gum out of her breast pocket, offering it to the woman.

The woman shook her head. "Open it."

"Are you kidding? It's chewing gum."

The woman remained resolute and silent, glaring at her.

"Okay then." Ellie pulled out the sticks of gum, and then unwrapped the foil wrappers around them. She showed the woman a handful of Juicy Fruit.

The woman nodded. "Okay, that's fine."

"I can go?"

The woman scowled at her.

Ellie took that as a 'yes' and hurried towards her bag, which had already passed through the X-ray machine.

Jesus, nearly caught because of some gum, what else is going to happen?

She stuffed the gum into the first trashcan she passed.