Hustle | Chapter 16

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

16

Reconnaissance

Jacob swore, watching the boat move farther away from him.

What's she doing? Stupid fucking idiot!

He realized, after she shouted the frog comment at him that she must have heard him insulting Cheryl and thought he was talking about her.

"I didn't mean you. You seduce me far too fucking easily!" He shouted out at the distant boat. "Bollocks," he muttered, sighing at the lifejacket.

I can't believe she pushed me off the boat!

A range of emotions were flooding through him, largely led by anger.

I save her ass, and she throws me off the boat. When I get hold of her, I'm gonna...What, tickle her to death while handing her your fortune?

He scowled at the back of the boat. The voice in his head was right. So far, he'd given her everything she needed. He might as well have just handed her the Heart of Fortune—not to mention his own—on a platter before groveling at her feet.

Meanwhile, she's pining after that Jimmy kid and running off to save him. I am such an idiot.

He stubbornly refused to go after her. He bobbed in the water instead, determined not to move until Bill showed up. He pulled on the lifejacket and folded his arms.

I'm not going to rescue her again. So what if Meyer's probably on the island right now....

He scanned the shoreline for other boats. Then he turned away from it. Nope.

She made her choice.

What if she gets killed?

He gritted his teeth.

It'll be her own stupid fault.

It took him about thirty seconds before he sighed and turned in the water before swimming after the boat.

I'm not going to save her. I'm going to find her and then toss her into a swamp!

Sure you will, a voice in his head goaded him.

He growled and kicked through the water as fast as he could, using his anger to drive him through the waves towards the shore.

His arms ached by the time he eventually reached the boat. It had taken him a long time to get to it. He ducked low in the water as he slipped down the port side. The craft was still and anchored not far from the shore—too close to the shore. He was surprised she hadn't grounded it. He shook his head, biting back the urge to scream at her because it would make her aware of his presence. If she was still on the boat, she might have found the gun that was in the wheelhouse. The last thing he wanted was her shooting at him.

Why was there a gun on the boat anyway? Why were there men's clothes on the boat? He'd never really stopped to question whose boat it was, but he frowned as he thought about it.

Whose boat did I fucking steal? Great, now I'm a pirate. I steal boats!

He shook his head. It didn't matter anymore. He needed to get on board and find Ellie.

He circled the boat, sliding silently through the water. She wasn't on the deck. He stopped at the stern and peered over the edge. Once he was certain she wasn't in view, he boosted himself up onto the deck. His arm muscles strained as he pulled himself out of the water while gripping onto the railing. Making as little noise as possible, he climbed over the rail and dropped onto the deck.