Hustle | Chapter 12

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

12

Dark Jungle

Ellie staggered into the clearing, gasping for air. She swiped the sweat out of her eyes with the back of her hand before resting against a thick tree trunk and taking a moment to regain her breath. She'd torn through the humid jungle to escape Jacob and ensure he didn't follow her. She was trembling all over, using every ounce of energy she possessed to keep going. She didn't know how long she'd been running, but she was pretty certain she'd lost him.

That's not the only thing that's lost.

She grimaced at the thick trees, searching for a hint of a way out but only seeing dense greenery surrounding her.

She lifted her left foot off the ground and winced. Her toes felt raw inside her boots, which had rubbed against her wet skin every step of the way. Even though they had dried on the outside, the boots were still sodden on the inside. The thick leather had been a welcome relief at first, a protective covering for her bare skin against the hissing insects on the jungle floor, but now she'd give anything for a dry pair of socks.

She shook her head at her current situation. When she'd set off running, she hadn't really had a destination in mind. She was being shot at, so she ran.

However, the farther she ran, the worse her situation became. Her feet were probably a blistered, bloody mess inside her shoes. Her bare arms and legs made her feel unprotected. Sharp pains shot down her arm and back from the gash on her shoulder.

Fighting dizziness from exhaustion, blood loss and thirst, she realized she was lost in a tropical jungle with no way of calling for help.

And who would I call? Who even cares that I'm out here?

Her mind tried to tell her that Jimmy would care, but Jimmy wasn't here and part of her was glad he wasn't.

In the long run, isn't he better off without me?

She licked her dry lips.

It doesn't matter. If I don't find water soon, I'm dead anyway.

She glanced around the clearing, sighing with relief when she saw the banks of a lake beside her. Water was something she needed very badly.

Is it safe to drink?

The idea of stopping to boil it wasn't a very alluring one. She still didn't know if she was being followed. She didn't know what time it was, and she didn't know what to do if she was still here at night.

She shivered. A night in the jungle alone didn't sound like a good idea. It was beginning to dawn on her that a city girl like her shouldn't have even tried to come to a place like this.

I'm so fucking dead. If a gun-wielding psycho doesn't get me, this place will.

She shook her head and stumbled towards the lake.

What's a bit of dysentery when you're probably going to get eaten by something nasty anyway?

She knelt at the lake's edge and scooped up some water into her hands. It was cool and clear. Her shoulder burned when she reached down. She glanced at it, allowing the water to fall through her fingers. The makeshift bandage was dark red and sticky. Blood splattered down her arm where it had poured through the bandage and smudged against the brush and leaves as she ran by them. She touched the bandage, and fire bloomed down her arm.