Reflekta

A few days earlier Ms. Bustier had told us to wear our best leotards and tights, because today we would be having a photo shoot to advertise for the studio.

On the day the photographer was scheduled to come, we all wore our best clothes as instructed, and lined up in fifth position croisé. "Now be on your best behavior students," Ms. Bustier said, "This man is a professional photographer, and I will not tolerate any misbehavior."

Just then the photographer burst into the classroom, "HELLOOOOOOOO DANCERS!" He said holding his hands in the air, "I am honored to say I am you photographer today! Now lets see...."

He examined the class, walking up and down the row. He held his fingers in a square, framing each of us in his hands to envision a picture.

"OKAY!" He shouted as he stood up, clapping his hands together, "We're going to do individual pictures first, and then the class photo. When I'm don't with your individual picture line up in height order for the class picture."

He picked out students one by one, to take their individual photos.

While we were waiting to get our pictures taken, I noticed that Juleka and Rose were sitting in the corner, Juleka with her head in her knees and Rose patting her back soothingly.

I walked over and sat down next to them. "Juleka, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I'm not going to be in any of the pictures." Juleka responded.

"What do you mean? Everyone is getting an individual picture, and there's the class photo too!"

"You don't get it Marinette," Juleka said, lifted her head up, "Ever since I was little, every time someone tries to take a photo of me, something goes wrong. It's a curse."

I frowned. Rose looked down at Juleka with eyes filled with sorrow.

"I swear Juleka, I will make sure you are seen in these pictures!"

Juleka looked up and smiled slightly, moving her bangs out of her eyes. Rose looked at me thankfully.

Then the photographer called me over to get my photo taken. I smiled back at the two of them and then ran over to the photographer.

-----

"Okay, that's everyone!" The photographer said, "Line up for the group photo!"

Everyone started to line up, but I had been watching, and the photographer had forgotten about Juleka. She stood in the corner, head down.

I raised my hand, "Um, Mr? You forgot to take Juleka's photo."

The photographer looked across to room and saw Juleka in the corner, "Oh! I'm so sorry!" He clicked with his camera, "Lets get your pictures...."

Juleka started to smile.

"Oh." The photographer said.

Her smiled faded.

"I only have room for one more picture on this SD card..." He searched his pockets, "And I don't have an extra." He looked up at her, "I'm sorry darling, we'll have to go straight to the class photo. But don't worry, there's only going to be one or two individual pictures in the advertisement anyway." He turned his attention back to the class, "EVERYONE LINE UP IN HEIGHT ORDER!"

Juleka sighed and walked over to the tall end of the line. As she passed me she said, "It's okay Marinette, you tried."

When we were all lined up in height order the photographer took the shortest of us (including me) to sit on our knees in the front row.