Chapter 5.14 (Detentions with Dolores)

The next morning it was double Charms followed by double Transfiguration. Professor Flitwick and Professor McGonagall both spent the first fifteen minutes of their lessons lecturing the class on the importance of O.W.L.s.

"What you must remember." Said little Professor Flitwick squeakily, perched as ever on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk. "Is that these examinations may influence your futures for many years to come! If you have not already given serious thought to your careers, now is the time to do so. And in the meantime, I'm afraid we shall be working harder than ever to ensure that you all do yourselves justice!"

They then spent over an hour revising Summoning Charms, which according to Professor Flitwick were bound to come up in their O.W.L., and he rounded off the lesson by setting them their largest ever amount of Charms homework.

It was the same, if not worse, in Transfiguration.

"You cannot pass an O.W.L.," said Professor McGonagall grimly, "without serious application, practice and study. I see no reason why everybody in this class should not achieve an O.W.L in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work." Neville made a sad little disbelieving noise. "Yes, you too, Longbottom." Said Professor McGonagall. "There's nothing wrong with your work except lack of confidence. So...today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until N.E.W.T. level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your O.W.L."

She was quite right. Aurora was usually able to do everything within her first attempt. It was no secret Transfiguration was her best and favourite subject. But Vanishing Spells took her three attempts. She did earn a ten-point bonus for Gryffindor and wasn't given any homework but Hermione had managed it in three attempts as well. Not that, that meant Aurora was bad at it, absolutely not. Harry and Ron hadn't even managed to make any difference...but it did mean she wasn't the best like she usually was.

Aurora spend her lunch hour with Hermione in the library trying to finish Snape's potions essay about the use of moonstones. Hermione, who was apparently angry with Ron again, did not need much convincing to not inform Harry and Ron of their whereabouts.

By the time they reached Care of Magical Creatures in the afternoon, the day had become cool and breezy. Professor Grubbly-Plank stood waiting for the class some ten yards from Hagrid's front door, a long trestle table in front of her laden with twigs.

As Aurora and Hermione reached her, a loud shout of laughter sounded behind them. Turning, they saw Draco striding towards them, surrounded by his usual gang of Slytherins. He had clearly just said something highly amusing because Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy Parkinson continued to snigger heartily as they gathered around the trestle table. Judging by the way they all kept looking over at Harry, it wasn't hard to guess the subject of the joke.

To Aurora's surprise she noticed Nova was not giggling stupidly with them. She was looking at the ground, seemingly deep in thought.

When she looked up, and accidently stared straight at Aurora, she couldn't help but notice how much Anastasia and Nova looked alike. Aurora had never noticed that Nova's face was quite similar to her own although her eyes were very different. Nova's slouched a bit more but she definitely wasn't ugly. She had a fair skin-tone with light freckles on her nose like Aurora had. Her cheekbones were about the same shape and like Aurora, Nova had a dimple in her right cheek. She was the same height as Aurora, with the same body-type. And now that Aurora's hair was darker, she could see that she and Nova had the same wave in their hair....

"Everyone here?" Barked Professor Grubbly-Plank. "Let's crack on then. Who can tell me what these things are called?" She indicated the heap of twigs in front of her.