Chapter 5.21 (The lion and the serpent)

"Last time I checked, she wasn't a Slytherin..."

Caspian sighed an turned to look at Draco Malfoy.

The heavy weight in his arms was not moving. He couldn't believe she had fallen asleep. She didn't seem like the type that felt comfortable sleeping around people she hardly knew. So maybe she was starting to warm up to him. Either that or she was just that exhausted.

"May I ask why you are carrying my dead cousin in your arms?" Said Draco, raising an eyebrow.

Oh right...he didn't know.

"I thought she might be like sleeping beauty and true love's kiss would wake her."

Draco just stared. Then he sighed and glanced at her face. "A face like Aurora's is rare. But her presence is absolutely one-of-a-kind. I knew it had to be her the moment she stepped into the Great Hall."

Caspian wasn't entirely surprised by Draco's revelation. He too would always recognise Aurora. No matter in what shape or form she appeared to him. "It seems like you care for her."

"You sound surprised?" Laughed Draco as he brushed some hair away from her face. "I do understand why it surprises you. Mia and I haven't been close in years. Doesn't mean I don't still think the world of her."

"Mia?" repeated Caspian, shocked. "As in Amelia?"

Draco chuckled. "It's an old nickname. It's what our matriarch used to call her, Amelia...after a girl she knew from school, I believe. Aunt Walburga was very ill in the head. Truly rotten. But in those last few years her memory was failing her too. Probably the only reason she never suspected Aurora might be her actual granddaughter. She always referred to her as Amelia, even left Aurora her entire estate after her death, claiming she would never have a friend as loyal as she was. Aurora never understood but Walburga seemed to think the world of this Amelia so we started calling Ara that too."

"Walburga must've been referring to Amelia Leighton," muttered Caspian, seemingly thinking out loud.

"My father calls her the Dark Lord's lover." Shrugged Draco. "They say she was the only woman the Dark Lord ever loved. My grandfather, Abraxas, has always described her as the most beautiful woman he ever met. Elegant and refined with a grace that can't be taught. It was the way she talked...the way she moved. He always said Aurora didn't really look like Amelia...but that she had the same air. I never understood what he meant until I recognised Aurora when she walked in as Anastasia. Now please, you can put her in my bed for tonight. I will not let my cousin go back to those barbarians in Gryffindor while she's in this state and she's definitely not staying with you. We can't have her reputation tarnished. "

Caspian just scoffed.

~~~~

"Giving out money?" Harry asked, as he saw Hermione in the library spelling Galleons.

"No," Hermione said, "You see the numerals around the edge of the coins?" She held one up for examination. The coin gleamed fat and yellow in the light of the torches. "On real Galleons that's just a serial number referring to the Goblin who cast the coin. On these fake coins, though, the numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting. The coins will grow hot when the date changes, so if you're carrying them in a pocket you'll be able to feel them. We take one each, and when you or I set the date of the next meeting we'll change the numbers on this coin," she held one up, "and because I've put the Protean Charm on them, they'll all change to mimic ours."

A blank silence greeted her words. "Well -I thought it was a good idea." She said uncertainly when Harry didn't respond.

"You can do a Protean Charm?"