Chapter IX - Train of Thought

An hour later, I wasn't sure where I was going. The horse seemed more than willing to return to camp. For the most part, I let her, occasionally interceding to investigate a bubbling stream or a particularly beautiful wildflower. I needed to clear my head — needed to feel alive, if only for a little while.

A cool morning breeze caressed my skin, softening the heat of the sun. All around were trees, trees and more trees. This was the densest part of the forest, where the carpet of leaves and pine needles was covered in knee-high ferns. I could scarcely move without brushing against a plant or tree trunk.

When I wanted to go faster, I did. When I felt like dismounting to walk without the hindrance of chains, I did. Temris had given me my freedom when he threw that key, and for some reason, I had shouted at him for it. It wasn't like he had given me a gift. More like returned something he had stolen. That didn't warrant thanks, did it?

There were two obvious choices for my next course of action. I could, of course, gallop away now and never return. That way, I might survive the war to come, albeit alone and miserable and useless. Or I could stay with Temris and help him defy the king. When put like that, it didn't sound like much of a dilemma.

So, when the wooden palisade of the camp loomed before me, I kept riding. Through the gates, past the sentries and all the way back to the pavilion. After tying the mare up, I pushed my way inside, only to be met by a hand seizing my throat. It hadn't even occurred to me that Anlai would be beyond pissed. He had promised to break my wrist, if I remembered correctly.

"You little minx," he growled in my ear.

I didn't wait for him to strangle me. One of my knees slammed up between his legs, and Anlai doubled over, muttering a stream of curses as I wrenched the knife out of my belt. He would be able to take it from me easily, but it did make me feel a little less helpless.

Anlai lunged for me, and I scrambled backwards. My spine collided with something solid — the table — and I slashed at his wrist as he tried to disarm me. He would have succeeded, too, had someone not caught his collar from behind and thrown him to the ground. Faster than I could blink, Fendur was between us, sword drawn. Anlai responded by palming his own weapon and rising to his full height. He spat blood, glowering.

"I don't want to fight you, Fen, but if you don't move..."

Fendur set his jaw. "For gods' sakes, Anlai, you know I won't stand by and watch you hurt her. So, yes — we'll have to fight. And we both know you would win. Kill both of us or swallow your damn pride."

"I'm beginning to regret waking you up," Anlai muttered.

"Oh, quit it, both of you," I cut across. "Fendur, I don't need you fighting my battles. And as for you, idiot, learn to control your temper. You can be angry at me for running all you like, but don't you dare threaten your friend over it."

Two sword points dropped to the floor as both warriors turned to stare at me. Apparently, they weren't used to having their squabbles interrupted by a girl.

Anlai scowled. "Gods, you sound like Tem."

Fendur nodded, sheathing his sword without any further hesitation. "Then we'd better listen to her."

Anlai followed his example grudgingly, but he wasn't finished yet. He shoved Fendur out of the way with one hand, then used the other to twist the knife from my hand. I should have realised he wouldn't give up so easily.

"Anlai," Fendur snapped.

I stood very still, staring at him as he tapped the tip of the knife against my heart. If he had wanted to kill me, I would have been dead already. I knew damn well this was only scare-tactics, so I smirked at him.