Chapter LXXVIII - The Last Supper

Yes, you still get your friday update. Aren't you guys spoiled? Thank whichever malevolent entity decided to steal the last chapter right out of my hands.

The queen had reclaimed her throne for the evening. Mikal sat beside her, and I was beside the king. He had not invited me to make a statement tonight, but rather to talk to me. The northerners were not present. They were confined to their chambers until the morning, naturally, and the court felt twice as cold and unfriendly without them.

"Ark and Saqui have told me how Temris fights, to the best of their abilities. Do you have any further insight?" Herox asked as we started the second course. It was pork with a sticky, sweet sauce. I was only picking at my food.

"I am not very accomplished with a blade," I answered with a sigh. "All I can tell you is that he's quick. Quick and clever. Perhaps too clever, sometimes."

There was more I could have told him, of course. Plenty more. Most notably the way Tem looked at your ankles and swung at your throat, which was the most disconcerting thing I had ever found in an opponent. I wasn't sure if he had done that in his sparring sessions with the assassins, and if he hadn't, it should probably remain a secret.

"Hmm. I doubt he is so quick with his left..."

"You would be surprised. The northerners train with their off-hands more often than most warriors, and he has had time to practice since Canton," I told him. "Can I offer you some counsel? Let Anlai and Fendur watch tomorrow. You will need witnesses, after all. Cambrian witnesses."

"And the Sapphirean girl, too, I suppose?" he asked dryly. He poured himself a third goblet of wine — strong stuff, nothing like the watery version I was drinking.

"Melia, yes." After all, it would be much easier to escape Belmery if they were all close at hand. If Tem killed the king, there would not be time to return to the keep. "She might be the key to the south. Get Ulric on your side and the other lords will follow."

Herox smiled wickedly. "Did you think my bastard has been spending so much time with her because he enjoys her company?"

Oh. He would have Melia turn her cloak, too. Maybe he hoped Anlai would follow suit. Or maybe he hoped she might set aside her husband and win him south Cambria through a new marriage. The gods only knew.

"I had not thought about it," I admitted. "But yes, that is a good start."

"Indeed. I think with the right coercion, she could be a useful ally. Starting tomorrow, I want you to help me ... convince her of my cause," he said, and I schooled my face into careful neutrality. "Yes, Lyra. Once Temris is dead, I would like you to remain here. With a little training, you would make an excellent spy."

And I would make an excellent assassin, when I first got an opportunity. This would be my contingency. If Tem failed, it seemed I might get another chance to finish the job. I just hoped it wouldn't come to that.

Swallowing, I pretended to contemplate it. He would not expect me to agree easily, and I had to play the part well. "If I was to accept ... things would need to change. No more butchered children, for a start. Soldiers must die — I understand that, but not their families."

The king set his knife down and turned to face me properly, his food forgotten. "Unfortunately, that is not within my control. The type of man who is willing to rip a child from their mother is the type who toes the line of cruelty. If I rooted out every monster from my army's ranks, I would have no army at all."

"So the lives of children are just the price of conquest?" I demanded. "And I am supposed to accept that? If your son was to die tomorrow, would you forgive his murderers and join their ranks?"