Chapter XCIV - Harcliffe

There were four horses waiting on the road ahead. Ark and Saqui sat astride the front two — even from a distance, they were easily recognised. The spare horses would have helped, and the route we had taken from Belmery had been twisting and roundabout, but they must have made good time to have overtaken us.

Just in time, too. Harcliffe was barely half a league away — we could see the town spread out across the length of a great, curved bay. The soldiers had reached it this morning, I would wager. They would be lying in wait for us. Watching the road, too, probably.

"This time, we really have been sent to kill you all," Ark called cheerfully as we grew closer. "The queen was quite adamant on the matter. So, if you wouldn't mind getting off your horses and laying your weapons down, we would be much obliged..."

Saqui muttered something which sounded very much like, "You are not funny, Ark."

"I beg to differ."

The five of us exchanged a look, and then, instead of laying aside our weapons, we drew them, almost in unison. Twenty paces separated us from the assassins, but a charging horse could cover the distance in a few heartbeats, so Ark swore under his breath and drew his own sword.

"We have no intention of hurting you," Saqui said quickly, but his hand was inching towards his knife hilt. His horse took a nervous step backwards, eyeing Nightmare, who was, in truth, too exhausted to fight anyone.

"We know, and you are welcome to join us, Saqui," I warned, "But he had better not come any closer if he wants to keep his head."

Ark made a very nasty expression which combined a grimace and a smile. It was dripping with poorly-concealed hatred, and it didn't help his case at all. Saqui only sighed, resigned at once to playing peace-maker, and he dismounted his horse to come and join us properly.

"He is my brother, Lyra," he told me. "We were not lying on that account. I cannot abandon him the instant my luck turns."

"I don't like him," I said. "And I don't care."

If he had not warned the king about the wine, Mikal might still be alive. Tem might still be alive. It was a tiny chance, but it was a chance nonetheless, so I could not forgive him, especially when his only excuse had been self-preservation.

Saqui rubbed his temples. One look at my face told him exactly how far I was going to budge on this matter. "Very well. He will keep his distance, I swear it. But we do not need to spend the rest of the afternoon flashing sun, do we?"

Melia was the first to sheath her sword, and Fendur followed soon after. I was the last to part with my weapon, which went back into the scabbard strapped to Nightmare's saddle. Saqui nodded his thanks. He made a hand gesture in Ark's direction which I didn't recognise, but the older assassin nodded and started eating his lunch while we talked.

"Mikal?" I asked straight away.

Saqui shook his head. I had known he was dead, really, but the sliver of a chance that he wasn't withered before my eyes.

"Do you mean the prince?" Fendur asked. "What happened to him?"

Saqui paused a moment too long before answering. "Poison. He went quickly."

The Iyrak nodded. He wasn't stupid — he could guess at what had happened. I would have him fussing over me like a mother hen for moons to come, I was sure, but maybe I wouldn't mind that. He seemed to miss having someone to look after.

"And his brother is dead," Saqui went on. "Well, missing, officially, but I am quite sure he is dead."

"What?" I demanded. "How?"