Chapter LXXVII - The Challenge

I did not hit publish. I wasn't even near an electronic device?? But like I guess you can keep the chapter...??

The throne room was packed. I had thought it full when I had first arrived, but that had been a session for petitioners, and only half the court had been present. Today, the king had issued a summons for every lord, every lady, and every soul with a drop of noble blood to come and bear witness to the proceedings.

I was not standing behind his throne, as usual, because that place was occupied by Prince Mikal today. He stood rigidly, unnaturally still for a boy of twelve. I had been ushered into the front ranks of the audience, and I was close enough to read the king and queen's lips: they were whispering while they waited for the hall to fill.

"I do not approve of this," Idris was saying. "To take such a risk..."

The king lounged on his throne, smirking at her concern. "When I swing a sword, there is no risk, love."

She shook her head vehemently. "There is something amiss. I fear this ... challenge is exactly what the savage wants."

"He is injured. I have to agree with Lyra - he cannot want to fight to the death."

"Lyra," she said, my name like a curse on her lips. "Hateful little thing. She is not to be trusted."

I couldn't help my smile.

He shrugged. "She has not given me reason to distrust her yet, and she has had every opportunity. But I have not taken her word for it. No, I have spent hours talking with Ark and Saqui, and they happen to agree."

"And what's to say they have not been fed information, like the girl? The warlord might have known they were duplicitous all along."

Gods, the queen was sharp. I had seen the glint of intelligence in those green eyes, but I had never guessed at this shrewd, cautious appraisal. And she had none of the king's restraint, so she spoke her mind, which was all the better for me.

"It has been hard to determine the truth of that. Ark thinks he did not know, Saqui thinks he did. I cannot think of a way to prove it either way..."

"I trust Saqui's judgement over Ark's. He has always been arrogant," Idris muttered.

"True," Herox said grudgingly.

"Then what the hell are you playing at?"

And then, just as the conversation would have become truly useful, the royals stopped their conversation to watch a man approach the throne. He came alone and unescorted, without even the Iyrak at his sides, and that was a rare sight. I imagined he had lost his right to keep his guards with him when he had been convicted of treason. His hair was messy and his shirt unlaced at the collar - all in all, it looked like he'd just climbed out of bed, but not like he had been sleeping. No, the circles under his eyes were too dark for that.

As he drew closer, I noticed his eyes scouring the people arraigned around the throne. Looking, I imagined, for me. He would know what had happened at the temple by now. He was still looking when he knelt, rising again when the king crooked a finger.

"You were sentenced to death, Temris, but I am not going to have you executed."

Tem sketched a shallow bow, because he could not resist the opportunity for mockery. "That is most gracious of you, Your Majesty."

"You are not being spared," he laughed. "I simply want to cut my losses where you are concerned."

The king smiled, then, and I saw Tem stand a little straighter, because he knew what was coming. I was willing to bet he could feel it like the heaviness in the air before the storm. I knew I could. My heart was thumping in my ears and the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up.