Chapter Nineteen

Elsa's POV

      I notice the annoyed gaze of Marcus. Good-now just for a little more icing on the cake. The next few words I don't make up, however. I say it from the heart.

    "I mean, I'm not perfect. I don't even deserve to be here, but I am." I glance over at Jack. "And it's been worth it."

    Marcus sighs, clearly vexed. Elsa one, Marcus zero.

    " I think that's all the time we have for, folks! See you next week!"

    I laugh to myself as I hug Punzie, then head back to my room alone. And as soon as I head out of the room and head down for the hall to my own, Kaya surprises me as she lunges at me, pinning me to the nearest wall. "What the hell was that act? What are you playing at and how the hell are you beating me at my own game! I'm supposed to be the favorite. You're just a pathetic Six that was only picked because they needed lowers in the running!" She spits.

     I don't let that her stings up remark hurt me. I shout back,"What about you! You think you're so perfect and everyone is beneath you! Well, you're not! Just because you're rich doesn't mean you're the best. Whether you like it or not, there are people that have better personalities, talents, and certainly that are far more considerate than you'll ever be." She punches me and I fall to the floor. She kicks me in the ribs and once she's done, she whispers,"If you ever tell anyone about this or you tell Jack, I will make sure to kick you out myself."

     She stalks off, leaving me in the floor. I curse quietly as I try to raise up and immediately feel pain in my lower body.

    I'll make sure she pays for this. I'll make sure she doesn't hurt anyone else.

                  * * *

    "So she lunged at you?" Jack concludes. I had told him what happened, and I had even shown him the bruises on my ribs, even if I had flushed when he looked.

   "What are you going to do?" His brow furrows in thought. "She is a favorite of the people and with my family, Els. I can warn her, but I can't send her home."

    I am so shocked and angry. "What? She hurt me! That's against everything the Selection upholds! It's in the rules!"

    "And I understand that, El, but-"

    "No! It's against the rules. You sent Kate home, I know it was because of me. Why not send her home now?"

   "Elsa, I-" Jack tries to get a word in, but I don't let him. I'm far too angry.

   "Why can't you send her home!" I demand.

     He finally snaps. "Stop it!" He says angrily. "That is my business. I will question her about it. Now, stop interrupting me!"

       I shut my mouth, shocked and upset. How dare he treat me this way? I had done nothing!

  "Leave. Now."

    His gaze softens as he realized what he said. "El..."

   "LEAVE!" He quickly leaves and I slam the door behind him. I start to cry silently. I'm angry at him for not believing me...but angry at myself for making things so much worse.

Hiccup's POV

     I was making my rounds when I see Jack come out of Elsa's room...he looked angry and confused. He catches my eye and I say,"Your Majesty," and continue on my way.

   As soon as he's out of sight, I open her door. "Elsa?" She looks up.

   "Hiccup?" I stand in the doorway. I want to hold her, but I can't. Someone might see and we'll both die.

    "Hey, it's okay." I say softly, trying to comfort her.

     "No, it's not. Everything is falling apart and I don't know why." That did it. I step towards her and hug her.

   "He may leave you, but I never will. If you ever need me, I'm here." I hug her and leave before anyone can see.