Chapter 9

Harry squeezed his eyes tightly, trying to block out the bright lights and get past the terrible aching in his shoulder. His entire body felt like it was hit by a truck, he could barely move his fingers and when he tried to talk nothing came out.

"Easy H, it's okay, you're alright."

Harry would recognize that as Liam's voice anywhere, but he had no clue what was going on or where he was. "Li," he barely got out, trying his hardest to open his eyes and see the older lad. "What happened? Wh-whe-"

"Mate relax," Liam shushed him, not wanting him to move too fast. "You're in the hospital H... Remember we were on duty and that call came in? He shot you in the shoulder but the doctors did surgery, they got the bullet out and they said you'll be just fine."

Harry just laid there for a moment, memories flooding back to him of the suspect with the gun, Ollie barking at him and gunshots going off one after the other. "Oliver," he whispered, his gaze shifting to Liam. "Where's Oliver and AJ?"

"AJ is at home with the other dogs, he's safe, nothing happened to him."

"Liam," Harry said quietly. "Where's Ollie?"

Liam swallowed thickly, his eyes moving to his folded hands in his lap as he opened and closed his mouth. "H... Ollie got shot," he said so softly he wasn't sure the younger lad heard him. "After the guy hit you he aimed for Ollie and got him just as I shot back."

Harry couldn't move, couldn't breathe as he listened to Liam. "No... No, no he- he can't-"

"Harry I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry," Liam said, taking the younger lad's hand and wiping away the tears that started falling down Harry's cheeks.

"No!" Harry yelled, pushing Liam away from him and wincing at the pain in his shoulder. "No, no! Where is he?!"

"Harry please," Liam nearly begged, seeing the younger lad begin to really break down. "You have to stay here."

Harry shook his head, not even trying to stop his sobs as Liam carefully wrapped his arms around him. "He can't be, he- he's not dead."

Liam rubbed the younger lad's back, letting him cry into his neck and hold onto him for dear life. He couldn't do anything besides tell Harry how sorry he was, how he was there for him and that everything was going to be okay. And the younger lad didn't stop his sobs, he couldn't as he was told his best mate was dead, that the only thing he had left of his father was gone forever.

"Where's Louis? I-is he here?" Harry managed out, needing the older lad, wanting to see and talk to him.

"He was here but he left just a few minutes before you woke up. He had to get home to Lily, but he's been here every second since you were brought in," Liam said softly, wiping Harry's tears away and offering him a glass of water.

"How long have I been out?" Harry asked, trying to catch his breath but found it near impossible as he kept thinking back to Ollie.

"About two days..." Liam bit his lip, the younger lad being knocked out cold since he got shot. "Gem and Niall are here somewhere, probably getting food and your mum is on her way, she-"

Harry shook his head, stopping Liam and letting a few more tears escape him. "He can't be gone," he said through a hiccuped breath, Ollie being the only thing on his mind. "Liam please tell me he isn't gone."

Liam let out a small breath, squeezing Harry's hand gently before shaking his head. "I can't do that H..."

And Harry couldn't say anything, didn't know what to do as he threw his head back against his pillow and cried until he had no more tears.