Chapter 10

Harry bit his lip as he brought up his hand and gently knocked on the door, praying the older lad was home.

He hasn't been able to sleep since it happened, his mind always focused on the spot on his bed where Ollie would occasionally sleep if it wasn't occupied by Louis. When he would be in the kitchen and found that his feet were cold because his dog wasn't there to lay on his toes. The house was quiet now, Oliver being the loudest of the dogs and without Lily and Louis' voices or hearing their laugh made the entire place feel empty now. And Harry couldn't do this anymore, he had to talk to him.

It was only a second later though that the door swung open, Louis looking at the younger lad so softly that it allowed Harry to stop his worrying. He rushed towards the blue eyed lad, wrapping his noninjured arm around him and just breathing Louis in, so grateful that he was finally back in his arms after almost two weeks.

"Louis I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry," Harry said, feeling the older lad carefully hugging him back so he wouldn't hurt him. "I messed up, I know I did and-"

"Love, it's okay," Louis shushed him, rubbing Harry's back gently to calm him down. "You were hurt and I understand, I really do... After you didn't call me though I thought you were done with me," he barely whispered.

"No, no, I-" Harry cut himself off, shaking his head as he let go of the older lad and followed him fully into the flat. "When everything with Ollie happened I... I felt like I couldn't even breathe let alone talk to you about how I was feeling."

Louis nodded as he looked to the ground, wishing Harry would've let him help when he was going through all of this. "How are you doing now? I mean I know it's only been two weeks since it happened..."

Harry shrugged as Louis gestured to the couch, taking a seat and figuring Lily was taking her afternoon nap. "Well I managed to actually leave the house today so it's a start at returning to normalcy," he said quietly. "Liam has been coming over to help take care of the dogs, I just... I can't go down to the basement or even see one of them without..." he trailed off, shaking his head and letting out a deep breath.

"It's okay," Louis said quietly, rubbing the younger lad's back and kissing his temple. "It's not going to be easy H, grieving takes time."

"But this is my unit Louis, I can't let them down, I can't let the dogs down, they're hurting too and I have to be there for them," Harry said, almost talking to himself.

He ran his hand over his face, letting out a deep and trying to clear his head. He came here to talk to Louis about them, and maybe after they'd get back to this.

"When you uhm, when you left the hospital you said you needed to think about us... What did you mean when you said that?" Harry asked quietly, almost nervous that the older lad would want to break up.

Louis bit his lip as he looked to the floor, the younger lad's eyes locked on him the entire time. "Harry when I got that call I-... I thought you were dead."

And Harry could already hear it, could hear Louis' voice shaking, trying not to choke up as he talked.

"A-and I wasn't sure if I can be with someone if every time they walked out the door I don't know if I'm ever going to see them again," Louis barely whispered, wiping away a tear that had fallen onto his cheek. "Because Harry I can't get that call again, I just can't."

Harry almost felt tears come himself as he saw the older lad, him clearly trying his hardest to stay calm and collected, but he couldn't. "Are you breaking up with me?"

He wasn't sure if Louis actually heard him he spoke so softly, knew the blue eyed lad didn't see his terrified face as he refused to pick his head up.