Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen

Mark did not fidget, so he dropped the pen he was tapping and wondered could the elevator move any slower. There was a tap on the door and his assistant entered –without waiting for a reply as always, "Miss Dean is here, sir" "Show her in and tell the legal team i will be waiting for a workable contract before this meeting is over." "Yes sir, will that be all Mr Davis?" ever the professional Felicia did not let her curiousity over that distraught and dreadfully dressed creature in her space show itself, "Yes, Felicia, bring us water in about 20 minutes." Dean replied, knowing that Felicia knew the way he worked and what he wanted. the 20 minute time frame was all the time he needed to give his opponents dry mouth and Angel was one opponent he needed parched and unbalanced.

Felicia took one last look at the tiny woman ringing her hands in front of her and just before she completely walked past the girl, she spared her an undermining over the shoulder look, "Mr Davis will see you now, just walk right in" – Felicia made her way to the executive boardroom to brief the lawyers and then into the break room to extract some information from the other assistants because she had a very bad feeling about that girl with her boss.

Angel wondered as she watched another sleek blonde do her job, if it was a requirement of the Davis men to have tall thin and blonde as part of their personal staff. It was a bit intimidating – who was she kidding it was a lot intimidating and there was very little she could do but just stand there and ring her hands in frustration, fear and self doubt... she did find that she liked the blonde from downstairs better, at least she was offered a seat, here she felt like something the cat dragged in that no one wanted on the good furnishings, in case she soiled them.

She was shaking as she reached for the door that would once again usher her into a place that would change her life forever... it was now or never... that tiny voice in her head pleaded with her to make it never but it was too late now. Angel walked with shaky legs into the office and Matthew stood as he saw the door pushed open and quite frankly neither were expecting what happened next.

Over at Baby Haven, clear across town; Sam was double checking the car seats needed for his tiny charges and silently wondering how he was going to handle three little people without the assistance of his team – who all seemed to have found other, more important things to do, then to help him go buy the damned contraptions, with so many ties and buckles and different sizes and colours and that wonderfully flighty woman who asked too many questions on organic materials, baby mobility and baby lock features; as if he had a clue.

What matters was that he got out of there, and who was waiting for him other than his crew with phones at the ready recording him struggling with three contraptions and fitting and wondering about baby lock and what it had to do with car seats. Sam sat in his car outside the establishment that held the Davis future heirs and wondered if he could just use his tactical team to get the babies out... it might cause some chaos but it would not be hell on his nerves.

He was waiting on Felicia's call and while he waited he checked in on the Davis residencies and on what progress was being made on baby proofing everything... he disliked talking to the Baby Care Specialist as she liked to be called but this needed to be taken care of and so what if the woman insisted on talking to everyone as if they were complete imbeciles. He much preferred the cute blonde at Baby Boutique... wait when did he decide that the blonde was cute, he did not do cute and she fluttered way to much and that giggle.... what the hell was going on, when did he start remembering small women and their giggles?

Sam was shaken from his rather disturbing musing... well he thought they were disturbing and that was all that matter... by a knock on his car window, first it was the cute giggling blonde thoughts and now someone had managed to get the jump on him, him a professional at not being caught off guard by anyone... with a heavy sigh he rolled down his window and was confronted by a very animated woman. "Yes?" Sam said with a lift of his brow, the annoyance evident on his face. "Yes? Yes? is all you have to say, after i have been standing here for the last 5 minutes freezing my arse off trying to get your attention." "I swear it's easier to get the attention of a two year old..."Kris muttered, and wondered not for the first time since she saw the line of SUV's park in front of her business what the hell was going on and why she had to deal with it.

Sam stared at the woman, thinking he should feel somewhat insulted by the woman's comparison to him and two year olds, but what he really was interested in was the other woman standing not so far from her and looking as if she was about to get the scoop of the year from this interaction and just as the thought passed through his mind the blonde woman shout across the street at the one in front of him. and as Kris wondered at why she was not inside dealing with Bobby drawing on her walls, the reason for why she was out here to begin with and the reason she had to deal with Bobby soon after this choose to shout across the street at her.

"Well Kris, who are they and why have they been parked in front of where My precious baby is ment to be kept safe?" and without allowing the woman – Kris a chance to chance to answer and it seems taking a breath between her inquisition which she seemed determined the whole street hear by the way she was shouting out, "Kris, i told you, you need better security around this place, being so close to the intercity, Are they mob men or paedophiles?"

Sam was amused as much by the thick headed questions as he was by the play of emotions on Kris's face as she seemed to try and form a response to the woman. As if any self respecting paedophile would actually admit to being one and why would the mob be staked out in front of a day care centre? "Amber, if you could let me ask the questions before you give this man your hypothisis as to who and what you think he might be, we could both get out of the cold faster" Kris replied with some bit in her tone and at a lower decibel she muttered "you nosey, gossiper" Kris probably did not want Sam to hear this but he did and he chuckled at the look on her face as she described the woman – Amber to him without even realising it. So to get on with the question and answer session he seemed to have in his very immediate future, he looked at Kris and said. "I am Sam, and No, i am neither a paedophile or a mobster and now i am wondering if your establishment is having problems with either?" If Kris looked taken off guard, it was probably because she was, she had almost forgotten the man in the car in front of her and was wondering when Amber would leave and cause some other person misery today. "Oh... Oh, yes, my name is Kris and i would say it is a pleasure Sam, and thank you for clearing up those two notions and no, i am not aware of us having a problem with either. What i would like to know is why you and your line of SUV's have been parked in front of my business for the last half an hour? You do understand that it does look suspicious, don't you?" She punctuated the question with her own eyebrow raise and tried to project uninterested and businesslike in her questioning.

Sam was impressed by the recovery Kris had, he was also surprised that Felicia had yet to call, Angel had to have been with Matthew for at least the required 20 minutes.

The meeting between Angel and Matthew could not have gone worse and that was an understatement. Matt was furious as he looked at his legal team and they tried very hard to disappear in their seats... Matt stared at them, as he called Sam, the last 30 minutes had not gone the way he had planned and he was left with potential disaster at his feet.

Outside of Davis Corp. Angel was shaking and crying, not much different to the way she had entered the dreaded building. Now she knew that she had just run out of options and the most distasteful one left was the only way out, but first she had to make sure her babies were safe, and the only person she could call was Kris.

And as he was about to form a reply to Kris's question on the suspicious behaviour of his men and himself, his phone rang, it was Matthew, "Excuse me a moment" he said to Kris not bothering to look up at her as he took the call, "Matt?" As Kris was waiting for a reply, her cell rang, "Angel, honey what is the matter?" Kris answered, her motherly instincts kicking into high gear at the distress she heard in Angel's voice

+