Chapter ten

Chapter ten

There was no other choice, she had to go see Matthew Davis – ambush him and prayed she won something if not keeping herself respect.

As Matthew headed for work that morning, he thought over the plans for the day and smiled a small smile at the thought that Sam had a solid lead on where Angel was now working thanks to that genius brother of his, this shit storm was about to reach critical measures but soon it would be over and he would be a husband and father to total strangers. Having gone over the amended prenuptial and custody agreements, he wasn’t heartless and cold enough to go through with half of those clauses anyway, he was sure that once Angel was found she could be convinced. Having the element of surprise was essential, she hadn’t contacted him or the media so maybe she didn’t care but he would make her care.

How could this be happening to me? How did things get this bad so damn fast? She wanted to cry, to rage and spit and let all this terrifying emotion out before it overwhelmed and swallowed her whole. She couldn’t cry not now, not here and not when she was about to fight for their lives by any means necessary. “Aaahhh”, cooed Gabriel, he was a gorgeous baby and demanding one as well, Why not, when his sperm donor was breath taking and commanding as a Roman General. Ariel and Dina slept peacefully; her little girls did not need to be constantly watchful. They were content in letting their big brother by 2 minutes keep watch. Gab never slept for longer than 3 hours unlike his more laidback twin sisters who Angel had to check on regularly. She supposed the girls took after her, after all Mark had never known the meaning of relaxed in the short time she has known him.

She was prepared; she looked at herself again in her cracked mirror and hoped she looked strong and confident because she didn’t feel it. She was nervous and agitated, how do you behave when you are about to ambush a man you have never met? Changing the course of four other lives in the process? Kissing each baby on their dark hair she took in that wonderful baby scent and steeled herself, she had done her research and she had learned all she could about her opponent and now was the time to launch her attack. She had the advantage of surprise but not for long, she had to be smart, not scared and close to tears.

As she walked out of the daycare centre and headed to the train station she needed this work and she needed it badly. She walked into the most intimidating building she had been in since she had told Mark of her pregnancy that fateful day and swallowed hard. She was dressed as nicely as she could be and prayed she could fake like she belonged because at this rate they would throw her out for being an imposter.

Swallowing her pride for the fourth time that morning, she willed her legs to move, her heart to stop racing and her mouth and voice to work. She knew that this was the only option left open to her; that is besides selling herself. In a way what, she was about to do was infinitely worse; she was going to sell her children and herself...

“I’m here to see Mr. Davis please.” Angel choked.

Matthew was shattered, the board meeting took it out of him and he still had a calendar full of meetings and it wasn’t even 9am yet. He was about to meet with Sam, he had an update and Matt was anxious to know what else he had found. As he waited for Sam to arrive Matt took a few minutes to go over the board meeting this morning in his mind, eyes closed he leaned against the back rest of his chair – he knew that there wasn’t anything to be done now. As he had suspected certain members of the board had already sold off their shares and luckily for him, his broker had been on top of the sales. He now including the family shares was the majority shareholder, owning over 50% of the company -  he was out of a couple of million but at least this way when the dust settled he would be able to run the company his way and not the board’s way.

Sam was running late, he had found her – thanks to Dean, but he had still found her. A nurse at the hospital had explained why Angel’s paper work wasn’t present in the main files, it was because she was treated as part of the hospital’s free clinic, the only reason her babies were in the main system; was because her labour was more complicated than what the clinic could handle. Sam’s teams were on their way to her place of work, her apartment and the Daycare centre. He knew that Matt needed as much information on her as possible, as he rushed past the lobby, his eye caught sight of a vaguely familiar hair colour – that shocking red with streams of golden blonde... as he entered the elevator his mind went to Angel and as the doors closed he discounted that thought, it couldn’t be her, could it?

The perfectly sleeked blonde looked up from her desk and recognised the short redhead in front of her, the late Mark Davis had chewed her out for letting the woman up to the executive level without first contacting his PA. She briefly wondered if the redhead knew which Davis she was asking for, she looked washed out and her eyes were red rimmed even though her clothes were nice enough. “I’m sorry miss, i won’t be able to allow yo access to Mr Davis, he is booked all day today” Rachel responded, she didn’t want to lose this job for doing the same thing she was reprimanded for – even if it was a different Davis in office at the moment.

Angel felt the panic swell within her, she hadn’t thought that she wouldn’t even be allowed to see Matthew Davis, she NEEDED to see him, “P-please...” she begged, half chocking “I-I n-need t-to see him, i-it’s very important t-that i-i ss-see him...” she could feel her face turning red at the panicked stutter and the sound of desperation in her own voice and she watched as the receptionist, whose name plate read Rachel, grew slightly uncomfortable at the scene she was sure she was causing but had no way to stop it. “P-please, p-please j-just a m-moment of h-his time” she begged and was feeling mortified as the tears that had been welling up burst their banks and streamed down her face.

The stress of the last week had done her in and now, having finally convinced herself that this was her only option – she was being denied. The situation could not get worse but it was about to as she tried to stop crying, it just got worse bordering on hysterical crying and she could feel people stopping and looking at the spectacle she was making, she was a mess. Rachel looked mortified, the young woman in front of her desk just went to pieces and she had no clue as to why. Rachel got up from her seat just as the building security walked towards them, Rachel grabbed the pitcher of water to her right as she rounded the reception desk and stopped in front of the woman who was shaking and crying like her world had ended.

Gary the security guard reached them as Rachel was pouring a glass of water and gently rubbing the woman’s back, he looked at Rachel’s panicked expression and stood in front of the woman and asked “is there a problem miss?” he looked down on the short curvaceous young woman and felt concern for her, Angel looked up from her mini breakdown and realised that Rachel was holding a glass of water out to her the security guard had asked her a question... “Uhh-uhm, i-i j-just wanted t-to see M-Matthew D-Davis... i-i n-need t-to ss-see him, p-please” she answered haltingly, still shaking and stuttering as she gratefully drank the water provided and tried to dry her now blotchy face of tears.

Gary looked questioningly to Rachel, silently asking if she couldn’t just send the girl up and let the executive level deal with her. Rachel glared at Gary and relented, “take a seat miss, since this visit seems so important, i’ll call upstairs and see if they can squeeze you in.” Rachel picked up the phone and dialled the executive extension, “who should i say is here?” she asked looking at a now pale faced Angel, her eyes seemed to glow after all that crying. “Angel... Angel Dean” Angel replied. Gary thought her name was fitting, looking at her now, face void of tears and her voice sounding stronger, she did look Angelic with that mass of blood red, golden blonde hair and those eyes, so strange but yet beautiful.

Rachel cleared her throat as she sent the message upstairs that this Angel Dean needed to see Mr Davis immediately and if it was possible to squeeze her in. Gary was knocked out of his musings and with a last look at the strangely beautiful if fragile woman on the couch and walked back to his station. Angel sat down, looking down at the glass she was gripping with all her might and willed the tension and mortification to leave her body, it was going to happen – she was about to meet her future husband and father to her children.