Chapter Fourteen

Chapter fourteen

Chapter fourteen

Walking and crying were not easy to do and the worry and fear gnawing at Angel's stomach just made it worse. As she reached the subway station, still stuck in her own head, she collided with another person and nearly tripped down the concrete stairs but for a strong per of hands on her shoulders. Still shaking, the man she collided with angrily dusted himself off, glared right at her and sneered, "Watch where you're going, some of us need to look presentable in public." And walked off without a backward glance to see if she was ok, the stranger who prevented her fall, steadied her once more and asked in a gentle voice "Are you ok ma'am?" She looked up, at him and her mind wondered why it was that she was always looking up at men? Shaking her head to clearly her thoughts, she shakily replied, "Yyyes, jjjust sshaken. Thhank you, for stopping me from falling", she felt her face heat up, her stuttering always embarrassed her and as afraid as she was off falling to her death and Matthew Davis getting her babies, her stutter mortified her at that moment. 

"Can i walk you to your platform ma'am?" the kind stranger asked, she looked back at him with wide eyes and he continued, "It's just, well ma'am you do look very shaken and it would make me feel better to know that you at least got to your train without anymore mishaps, it would do my conscious good, the name is Steve, ma'am." All this was said as he steered a dazed Angel to the side railing, away from the oncoming traffic of people leaving the station.

She gave her own name and passively let him guide her. Nothing more was said between the two, on Angel's part her mind was overflowing with what had been shoved in her face not 20 minutes ago and for Steve, he was just thankful that he had caught her, before she fell and broke her pretty little neck. As they stood together, each lost in their own thoughts, the train pulled in and Angel, looked to her savior that day "Thank you, again, Steve and thank you for the escort as well." She quietly said, having regained some composure in the walk and wait for the train, it was thin but it was there and she was grateful, she worried for her babies and Matthew Davis knowing where they were but she could talk to Kris on her way there, she needed to sit before the strain of holding herself together shattered her.

"It's no problem and it was my pleasure on both counts, since we are both getting on, do you mind if we sit together?" Steve asked quietly and gently, something in her eyes told him, not to look or sound forceful. Angel was taken aback but did not have a reason for objecting and people had already stared boarding the train. She nodded her ascent and Steve gave her a big smile, which brought out her own little one. Her first since she left her babies that morning. As they found themselves seats, they both were occupied by their thoughts that they did not realize that they took out their phones in almost perfect synchronicity. Her hands were shaking slightly but she was determined not to break in front of total strangers. Steve sent his text and waited for a reply, his job occupied his mind and the details were not to his liking, his thoughts somewhat grim and that was mirrored on his face, but as he looked to the pale beauty beside him, catching her eye. He gave her a small smile, as if to reassure her and he watched the tension easy from her shoulders just a bit.

She did look like her name, an angel, a stricken and distressed one but still beautiful all the same, he wasn't sure if it was her eyes, her hair or a combination of both but he was slightly captivated but he worried for her, that stricken and fearful look in the depths of her eyes did not sit well with him. His protective instincts were on high alert and that worried him even more, he did not get protective over diminutive delicate strangers. His job was close body protection, maybe that was it, while waiting for his next instructions – his natural protective was being transferred to someone he felt needed protection.

As she held her phone, absently scrolling for Kris's contact, her mind went to the cause of her worries, Matthew Davis and his legal sharks... Angel knew when it all went downhill and to her it was when she set her eyes on him...

....................................................................................................................................................

... Angel pushed open the door to the dragons' den, well not dragon per se but it felt like it, her heart was beating entirely too fast and quite frankly she didn't know how she made it across the room to the man at the desk... Angel got a good look at him and it was like she was staring at Gab's eyes in a grown man, with the matching frown, she gasped and flushed just a bit more. There was glint in those eyes so much like her baby's that she did not like and even before formal introductions were made Angel felt like prey.

"Miss Dean, it's good to finally meet you." He said, his tone though did not imply anything good about it, but his voice sent shivers up her spine, fear... Angel's well heeled brain stated; she was scared out of her wits and that deep, smooth baritone did not help. "MmmMr Davis." She whispered, the whisper was not intentional, her throat was suddenly clogged and her brain was telling her to flee, this was not a good idea, this meeting should not be taking place. As she stood behind the two chairs in front of his overwhelming desk, she swayed, just a bit. She forced herself to gain what little control she had, she thought of her babies, reaching out to grip one of the chairs in front of her, she tensed, her knuckles white with the effort it took to stand firm, the seconds ticked on and she knew that like a great predator he watched and waited.

"Mr Davis, I, I think you know why I am here", she carried on, satisfied that she barley stuttered and her voiced barley wavered, even though it was still just above a whisper. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she realized that he had yet to offer her a seat and wondered if it was a Davis think because, strangely, Mark had not either. After what seemed like forever, Matthew Davis spoke, as he eased himself into his chair, "Have a seat, Miss Dean, and we can get on with the business at hand" he said confidently. Angel shakily sat, thankful not to be standing like a naughty child before Mother Superior, Angel cleared her throat and huskily said, "Mr Davis, call me Angel, and i, ah, think that 'the business at hand' as you say is rather personal to be so, ah, uhm, formal" she stated bravely, inside she was shaking and hopeful as well as scared that this was not going to work out and she would be out on the streets without her babies.

....................................................................................................................................................

The initial meeting with Matthew Davis had not been horrible, there had been nothing said that would have prepared Angel for the fact that he wanted to, essentially buy her babies from her and leave her out in the cold when it came to raising and caring for them. She was an extra he did not want or need and that meant that her babies would be raised by some other woman, her worst nightmare come true. She would not be separated from her children, a firestorm so strong blazed within her and torched all her doubts and fears, she would never let her babies feel like they were not worth staying for, she would not do as her mother had done, she would never leave them behind. Her conviction was so strong that it brought her out of her musings, finding Kris's number she waited as the phone rang. "Kkkriss?" Angel didn't know her voice was so shaky, a plan was forming but the terror of losing her babies clouded it, "Angel, honey what is the matter?" Kris answered, hearing her concerned voice was more than too much for Angel, she felt the tears slide down, their well worn path on her face...