chapter seven

Chapter seven:

The t.v. was on and the babies were fed and content but Angel was neither. She couldn’t eat and she had checked on the amount she had saved – she didn’t trust banks much less use them. Her money was in a baby milk tin, she had just enough to cover rent for next month and the babies daycare cost and the little she had left would hopefully cover their food as well, she didn’t need to eat but they did and it seemed new cloths were out and she prayed they didn’t come down with anything because she couldn’t afford a hospital bill.

Today all there was on t.v. was the broadcast of the funeral and all angel could think about was a way for her kids to survive and even though she struggled with it, she knew in her heart that the answer lay with Mathew Davis.

Mathew woke and the sky was bright... mother nature was even mocking him, he had nothing to feel sunny about and the black cloud over his head intensified as thoughts of a certain redhead entered his mind.  He hoped Sam could find her before the media did, as he walked towards his shower his phone rang again, he let the answering machine pick it up; he jsut knew it was another woman from his past offering to be his shoulder to cry on as well as the next Mrs Davis.

Beep “Matthew, its Camilla DE Vos; i was just calling to offer my condolences for you loss and my fondest wish that you still think of me as a friend to lean on during these hard times. I know the press are all over this deal with your Grandfather’s will and this might seem a bit forward but ... call me ok” beep. Matthew listened to the breathy voice on the phone and thought, friend in deed; conniving snake – last i checked you had left me for a richer and far older man to get your hooks into.

Toady really was going to be dreadfull, between the press and Gina’s family as well as all the shareholders watching and waiting... there was little time for grief. He wished this day could just end.

Dean had worked through the night, Sam was right this woman was a ghost – well an almost ghost, he had a lead but he could barely keep his eyes open. Coffee helped but the strain on the computer screens and all that data streaming through hurt his eyes and his brain and even genius’s needed sleep.

Dean climbed into bed and thought of the pretty Angel in the picture, she was so small and her belly looked so big on her frame, her eyes looked scared – no matter how grainy the hospital image was her large eyes looked scared and with that thought Dean drifted into an uneasy sleep.

  Jim Conners cursed... yesterday was bad and this morning was not getting any better after getting off the line with one of the managing partners – after trying and miserably failing to explain how or why his office had messed up so badly- he knew his job was on the line if he didn’t find that girl or the leak.

Sam was tried and so were his people, security for the funeral was tight and trying to cover every angle possible and the some of the impossible as well – he was bone tired. Protection and detection was the name of the game today, protect Matthew and try to detect Angel. He prayed she would want to pay her last respects to her former lover because he had no other plan as to how he was going to find her. Dean wasn’t answering his calls either, but he was being patient, even if it killed him to wait for the boy wonder to get back to him.

The  press were everywhere like cockroaches at a sleezy motel. Matthew was tired of having his name shouted at him and he was sick of the questions thrown his way about his brother, the women, Gina and Gale and their favourite topic the future of his company. “i would like to ask that the press as well as the public respect that i am going through a difficult and stressful time. Please give me a chance to mourn my family, i will not be answering any questions at this time as i am burying the last of my family thank you.” Matthew read out what his PR team had written, barely paying attention to the words out of his mouth – he felt numb, he needed to be numb.

The cameras rolled as the three coffins were lowered down into the family plots and Angel let the tears of sorrow roll down her face as she watched the littlest coffin disappear into the ground. The camera panned over the crowed at the grave site and fell on the grim faced Matthew Davis, he looked so beaten, so weary but yet so handsome as well like an angel of death.

There was no meeting at the Davis house after the funeral, there was no family to comfort except Matthew and he wanted to be alone with his demons that afternoon, as he drank is whiskey he thought of amber rimmed eyes... she was haunting him and the alcohol wasn’t hazing up this thoughts of her at all... It was over, they were dead and buried and yet still he was stuck holding the bag... interesting that in that moment of self pity, despair and hate he envied his brother the peace of the grave.

The day was at an end and Angel had a plan, she was going to see Matthew Davis first thing Monday and she had all of Sunday to talk herself out of going.