Chapter five

MATHEW

MATHEW

Chapter five:

There was chaos at the Davis mansion; people were running around like headless chickens. Lawyers were on their phones, pr people were handling the media and Mathew Davis was looking at the family lawyer as if something slimy and disgusting had just slithered into his study and taken a seat, leaving behind a trail of slime and goo. "Mr Davis, please calm, yourself, your grandfather will was very explicit and it is airtight; there is nothing to be done. If you are not married by the end of 30 days, the company will be handed over to a trustee and there on liquidated as per the trust instrument set up by your grandfather." Mr Conners, a sixty something year old lawyer said his voice calm and even in the face of Mathew's blazing fury.

"What I would like to know is how these conditions were revealed to the media, before I knew about it. Why didn't I know about this ridiculous clause?" Mathew thundered, he addressed the whole room, his own private lawyers were looking for loop holes, and his immediate circle of trusted employees – ranging from his personal assistant to Sam his head of security – all looked uncomfortable. Good, he thought, they should be uncomfortable, this was beyond a cluster-fuck it was unacceptable. "Mr Conners, please answer the question." Mathew seethed; he was amazed that he even had the presence of mind to say please.

Even though Mr Conners outwardly looked calm and collected; inside he was a mess of nerves and stress because he knew that someone at his office screwed-up and now he and his firm could lose their biggest client. Clearing his throat – this was the only indication that he was as uncomfortable as the others in the now silent room. "Your father knew about this clause, he did not see the need to tell either you or your brother since Mark had ensured that the Davis line carried on and would do so, since you yourself did not show any inclination of marrying or having a family." Mr Conners stated simply, "As to how the media became aware of this clause before my office was able to contact you about it, aahem, well that is something the firm is looking into and those responsible will be terminated immediately." Mathew gave him a look of displeasure, which had most men and certainly Mr Conners – breaking out into a cold sweat.

"Tomorrow I bury my only family, and now I have to deal with angry shareholders and a nervous stock market, not to mention the thousands of employees who are now worried about their job security. And you tell me that your office is unaware as to who leaked this confidential information?" each word he spoke was laced with ice and contempt at the utter incompetence of the lawyers firm. "It's unacceptable,

I will be moving my family account from your firm; effective immediately", Mathew looked to where his lawyers sat and said; "Start the process now, if they give you any problem talk to the partners." His team got up and left the room to do as instructed, no one wanted to draw attention to them unless absolutely necessary – so no one voiced the thought that it was Friday night.

"Mr Conners, thank you for coming – a day late but then I'm sure that couldn't be helped either."Mathew said sardonically, his tone, very much sarcastic. And with that effectively dismissing the lawyer, Jim Conners knew when to leave, and it was time to go – he had a lot to explain to the partners, so much for damage control. Then he remembered something Daniel Davis had said to him when they had discussed his youngest son. "Mr Davis, if you will – your father mentioned that Mark had paid off a young woman, you was reportedly pregnant by him, that cheque given to her was never cashed. If you could find her, legitimize the child, well then..." Jim let the thought drift, as he moved out of the study and prayed that the young woman, in question had kept the child.

Mathew took in the parting information, Jim Conners had just given. He looked at Sam and he knew that his friend and head of security was thinking about the one woman they couldn't find. Angel. "Find her, damn it, find her and do it fast – before she realises what she has in that child; if there is still a child. I don't want any more nasty surprises." He raked his hands through his thick chocolate brown hair, messing up the neat style it had been in all day; his frustration was at an all time high. Sam got up wordlessly and left the room, intent on doing everything possible to help minimise this disaster. As he left, Mathew was giving instructions to the rest of the team.

Tomorrow was going to be a hectic grief filled day, he was the last standing Davis, well if Jim Conners was to be believed, there was another out there – an infant, with a mother who was his brothers' mistress. He needed to find them both, not only to secure his family legacy – the money didn't mean much to him, he had enough of his own – the business and all its' subsidiaries needed him to do what was right, innocent people could not lose their jobs just because his father had neglected to mention that his darling son had gotten two women pregnant at the same time; one a society princess and the other an unknown.

It was well passed midnight and Mathew could not sleep, his mind was filled with images of the sultry Angel and all her curves, he was aroused and he was angry that he was. In a few hours he would bury his brother and his mind refused to relinquish the first image he had had of Angel, across his bed aroused and waiting for him.

Damn it! This was not the time for thinking about sinking himself into the hot depths of a woman – one he had never met at that. Mathew crossed his bedroom, dropping his clothes as he went. Many had commented on his defined arms and chest, lovers had said he was perfection itself, all toned, bronzed and hard muscle.

His long legs made short work of the distance left between his dressing room door and the bathroom, between his powerful thighs, his manhood stood straight and thick and so very aroused over mental images of this unknown woman, his cock pulsed and stiffened further; he was hard – rock hard and there was nothing else for it. He would have to releave himself of this sweet agony.

His shower was cold, his climax had been powerful and it lingered with the image of her face in his mind. He was still tense but no longer as aroused, and the tears came – he cried for the first time since he heard the news of the plane crash. He cried for the wasted life, he cried for his niece, his brother and for Gina. He cried his shame of wanting this woman, this woman who had captivated his mind ever since he saw her pictures.

He felt exhausted, he hadn't cried since he lost his mother to cancer. He hadn't cried for his father, it shamed him that he couldn't feel that emotion for his father. His anger was there, bubbling and ice cold, who ever leaked that information would regret it for a very long time if not for the rest of their lives.