prologue

Prologue

January 3, 1935

Cara Miller clutched her books to her chest as she maneuvered through the foreign halls of her new school. The Miller family had only just moved to Brooklyn two days prior, and Cara was forced to go to school with such short notice to ready herself. She was used to moving; her family has done it more than once before. Every so years, the Millers would pack up and move away from where they were staying, not giving Cara any time to say goodbye to the little friends she had. After so long, she had given up on friends. Supposedly, they were staying put until their daughter's graduation that year. She didn't believe them.

Caras eyes would skip around her surroundings a few times as she tried to find her first class. Room 102. Upon finding the classroom, she darted for the door, avoiding eye contact with the groups of people around her. She was grateful when they didn't look her way.

The blondes eyes peeked up from under her long lashes. Only three other students were seated in the room, giving her various seating options. She opted for one in the back. Cara sat her books on the desk and sighed. She ran a hand over her pulled back hair before using both of her hands to smooth out her dress.

She pulled her old, ratted notebook out her stack of books and opened it up to the most recent page. Picking up the pencil on the stack of books, she pulled it over to the paper. It hovered over the paper for a second before diving down and lightly shading the white page.

Cara had a habit of losing herself in her drawings, so it wasn't a shock she didn't notice a boy around the same age as her walking up to her.

"You're in my seat, darling."

Cara jumped at the sudden voice, bringing a cocky smirk to the boys face. Cara stuttered to get her words out, she was never the social type. "O-oh, sorry. I- I didn't know. I'll just, um, I'll go."

Cara hurriedly grabbed her belongings and jumped up from her seat. The boy, still smirking, leaned over the seat to whisper something in her ear.

"You can sit on me anytime, though."

Cara clenched her jaw as heat rose to her cheeks. She gulped down a lump in her throat and scurried past the boy to look for another seat. To her dismay, all were taken buy one in the front.

"Here," a voice said, catching her attention. Cara whipped her head around to face the voice. The boy was tall and certainly better looking than any guy in any of her other schools. He sat two rows over and one seat up from the one she previously sat in. The brunette stood up. "You can take my seat," he offered.

Cara nodded in appreciation and walked over to the seat. She muttered a barely coherent 'thank you' to the boy before sitting down.

"No problem, doll," the stranger spoke answered. Cara rested her elbow on the desk and held her chin in her hand. Her long blonde ponytail fell to the side, hiding her face.

"Oh, and Brett?" the considerate man said, "next time you try to sweet talk a lady, don't ask her to ride you."

That was the first time Cara Marie Miller was graced with the presence of James Buchanan Barnes.

I have like three chapters and an epilogue left in this so imma finish it tonight cause I'm trash for Bucky Barnes.  I started this three days ago and I'm almost finished so YAY

- M I S S Y