one ; eighteen days

Chapter One ; Eighteen Days

January 21, 1935

Dear James,

    It's been exactly eighteen days since I met you. Eighteen days since you saved me from my first bully encounter in Brooklyn. Eighteen days since my first day of school. Eighteen days to develop relationships and fit in and forget about you helping me.

    Five days since you stuck up for me for the millionth time this month. How do you expect me to repay you for that? Six days since Brett has given up on me. How do I thank you for that? Seven since you stopped Sandy from tearing my favorite skirt. What do I say to you next time? Eighteen days since you gave up sitting next to your best friend in the only class you had with him, for me.

    Why me?

    It's because I'm an innocent dame in distress. A little girl who needs saving. That's it, isn't it? I'm just a defenseless, shy, girl who needs help.

    Well, frankly, I am, so thank you.

Although it has occurred to me that you're helping merely for our peers to see you as a saint, I don't believe that. I believe that you are indeed a good man, James.

    I cannot express just how much I appreciate it. I am in your debt, James Barnes.

        Thank you,

            Cara

Horrible with these letters, honestly. Whatever.

- M I S SY