twenty ; cara marie miller

Chapter Twenty ; Cara Marie Miller

Word Count- 1132

May 4, 1935

Once again, the young couple decided to go dancing. It was Buckys' idea, and hoped and prayed Cara would say yes. Thankful on his part, she did.

Bucky dressed in the best clothes he could find for the night. He shaved and did everything in his power to look perfect for his girl. His Girl. Oh, he would never get tired of saying that.

After his parents forcing him out the door, Bucky got in his car and started driving down the busy city streets to the Miller household. When he reached his destination, he turned the engine off and climbed out of his car. Walking around to the other side, he clenched and unclenched his fist. His nerves were running wild. He allowed two sharp knocks on the front door of the house and waited for Cara to come outside.

Bucky heard a faint 'bye mom!' from inside the house before the door opened, revealing a very beautiful, very happy Cara Marie Miller. Buckys' breathing immediately stopped as he took in the sight of the gorgeous dame in front of him.

Cara smiled sheepishly before grabbing Bucky's hand and pulling him down the stairs. Bucky stepped forward and opened the passenger side door of his car for Cara, causing a small giggle to fall from her mouth. Bucky grinned and shut the door before walking around to his own side and climbing in.

"You look beautiful, Cara," he told her before starting the engine.

Cara tilted her head and smiled. "Do you ever get tired of telling me that?"

Bucky frowned dramatically and shook his head. "Never, doll."

Cara laughed and rested her head back on the seat.

Bucky glanced at her for a split second before driving off towards the party.

~

The party was in full swing, just like the last was, when they arrived. But that didn't matter. Cara giggled and yanked on Buckys' arm until they reached the dance floor. Bucky had twirled her the second she stopped walking.

They were there for hours. Dancing, laughing, the occasional drink. The dance was similar to the last, amazing music, amazing dancing, and funny people to enjoy a good laugh with.

Cara turned to Bucky and excused herself to the bathroom. When she was out of Buckys' sight, the brunette hurriedly walked over to the band and requested a song. Cara's favorite song. The piano played nodded, saying how they would play it after the other requests. Bucky returned to his spot at the table him and Cara were sat at and waited for her return. It was mere seconds after that she returned.

Bucky offered up a smile, causing Cara to emit a smile herself. Before she could sit, Bucky stood and offered his hand for a dance. Cara placed her hands on her hips and tilted her nose into the air. Bucky smirked at her little game before walking up to her kissing her on the mouth. Caras' hands melted from her hips and found their way to Buckys' neck. Instead, of deepening the kiss, Bucky grabbed her tiny hands from off his neck and spun the now surprised blonde around before dipping her.

Caras' mouth hung agape, a small, amused scoff falling from her pale red lips at her boyfriend's' actions. Bucky smirked and pulled her up and close to his chest.

"So that's how you wanna play, huh?"

The corner of Caras' mouth curled up. "I guess so."

As if on que, the slow song requested by the Barnes boy started. He fought a smile as he pulled Cara to the top of the large round table they previously sitting.

"James Barnes, I will not do this again! It's bad manners!" Cara scolded, but Bucky didn't listen.

"Lighten up, doll," he whispered in her ear before pressing a light kiss to her shoulder.

He could feel Caras' heart pounding rapidly. He knew she was scared of getting thrown out of the club, but Bucky wasn't. He had faith in that night. Cara placed her head on his shoulder as they swayed to the melody.

Bucky was scared, if one thing. Faith could do nothing about it, he was terrified for the events of the near future. A future closer than he thought.

The song came to an end, the tune fell out slowly. Bucky pulled back and looked deep into Caras' eyes. Her own held a sudden look of fear at Buckys' nervous expression.

He placed his hand in his pocket and dug out the small box that had been burning a hole in his pants. Cara saw it, her gaze shot back to Bucky, her eyes widening and lips parting.

And James Buchanan Barnes fell to his knees.

Caras' hand flew to her mouth. The music stopped. The people around them whispered. Everything came to a halt as Bucky Barnes opened the velvet carrier and held it out in front of him. The diamond ring inside sparkled brighter than the chandelier above them. He took a deep breath and began to speak.

"Before you ask me why, it's because you deserve it, Cara Marie Miller. You deserve every ray of sunshine and every ounce of every person's love. You deserve the stars in the sky and every sip of the finest wine the world has to offer. But nobody will deserve you, Cara. You're too good for this world. And I can only hope you grant me the wish of being my wife because I have never wanted something more in my entire life.

"And I know that we're only in high school, but so what? I love you with every fiber of my being I want to be yours. I want you to be mine.

"I want you to know just how much you mean to me, but I'm afraid that amount of admiration is impossible for one single person to hand out. But I can try. And I will spend my whole life trying to show how much you mean to me. If you give me the chance.

"Because there is no one else for me. Only you. It'll only ever be you. I can't imagine a life without you in it, I don't know how I used to live mine. I want you by my side for however long the world stands and longer.

"So, will you, Cara Marie Miller, do me the honor of taking my hand in marriage? Will you continue to make me the happiest man alive?"

So caught up in rambling on about how much he loved Cara, he never noticed the tear fall from her eye and the large grin on her face.

And Cara Marie Miller fell to her knees.

And in front of everyone, she kissed her fiance, James Buchanan Barnes, for they were indeed the happiest people alive.

Ok, but is this cute or what??

- M I S S Y