two ; strength

Chapter Two ; Strength

January 30, 1935

James Barnes moved through the large crowd of people laughing and staring at the scene unfolding in front of them. He assumed it was Steve, once again getting himself into a fight, but once his eyes landed on the mop of long blonde hair trying to stand up from the cold ground, Bucky pushed everyone out of his way.

    He didn't understand why the female species in his class were picking on Cara; she was so nice. He had an idea, though. They were jealous of her breathtaking looks and exceeding grades. Mostly her jaw-dropping body and face.

    He would never dare admit it to anyone, not even Steve, but Cara Miller was the most beautiful woman he had ever laid eyes on. And it angered him immensely seeing her in tears trying to pick herself up off the floor.

    Sandy McGuire and her gang laughed as Cara nearly tripped trying to stand up. He heard words like 'pathetic' and 'stupid' dripping from their fake, cheaply painted lips.

    Once Bucky reached the front of the group, he cleared his throat. Sandys' hair whipped around as she turned her head to look at Bucky.

    "Bucky!" she cheered happily.

Bucky stood still, unfazed by the attention the girl was giving him. He made a point of sighing and sounding as angry and disappointed as he could muster. People behind him shifted, but Sandy was still grinning innocently.

    Ignoring her completely, the young brunette walked over to Cara, who gave up and sat defenseless on the ground. She kept her blue eyes trained on the tore up pages of her sketchbook. Bucky noticed that she kept that particular notebook close to her, never let anyone see it or in it.

    He gathered her books, the sound drawing her attention away from trying to stop crying. She lifted her face from her arms and looked at Bucky in surprise. He didn't notice this, instead he was too preoccupied commanding everyone to go away.

    Everyone slowly dissolved from around them. Sandy was left standing there, utterly shocked and confused.

    "What are you doing, Bucky? Why are helping her?" she sneered.

Bucky stood up and locked his eyes with the shorter girls'. "Why do you hate her?" he shot back.

    Sandy looked taken back by his answer, her mouth opening and shutting like a fish. Bucky didn't stick around for answer. He turned away and offered his hand to Cara. She propped herself up with one hand, and grabbed the outstretched one with her other. She sniffled, but didn't wipe away any stray tears, she let them fall freely down her face. Her cheeks and eyes were red from crying, but there were no black stains under her eyes. No makeup. She's just naturally this beautiful, he said to himself. Even in the midst of crying, he saw nothing but beauty and strength. It's like his mom always told him-- "It takes real strength to cry. Especially in front another.''

    "Thank you, James."

    He broke from his trance at the sound of her voice. It was normally as smooth and silky and as soft as feathers. And now it was dry and cracked and hoarse. His eyes' softened.

    He offered a small smile. "How many times do I gotta tell you? It's Bucky."

    He knew she heard him, but made no move of indicating she did. She just sniffled. Bucky handed her books back to her. She tried to smile at him as a farewell before darting across the hall to the bathroom.

    It was the end of the day, everybody was gone or going home. So, he followed her.

    When he entered the bathroom, Caras' hands were braced on either side of the sink, her head limp and shaking from side to side as if she was disagreeing with someone. When the door shut, she gasped and looked up.

    "W-what are doing in here?" She forced out.

Bucky stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked around awkwardly for a second. "You never asked why I help you."

"Because I need help, right?"

    "Because you deserve better. But that too."