eighteen ; birthday

Chapter Eighteen ; Birthday

Word Count- 371

April 11, 1935

"Hey, doll, what's today?"

"The eleventh. Why?"

He raised his eyebrows. "It's your birthday."

"I know," she said tentatively. She took a bite of her food.

Steve narrowed his eyes slightly. "And you're not excited to celebrate?"

Cara dabbed her mouth with her napkin at the same time she shook her head at her friend's question.

Bucky frowned. Standing up, he stepped on the bench he previously sat on before fully standing on top the lunch table.

"James Buchanan Barnes, what in the world do you think you are doing?" Cara scolded his bad manners.

He loudly cleared his throat. "Attention! Attention everyone!" Only a few decided to listen. "Hey!" he yelled roughly. When everyone turned their attention to him, he flashed his usual charming smile. "Thank you," he said jokingly. "Anyways, today is my girl's' birthday!"

Cara hid her face in her hands, Steve laughed at her shyful antics.

Bucky grinned and continued. "I just wanted everyone to know that I love her with all my heart, and that I wish her the happiest of birthday wishes today. I'm sure it'll be a great one."

Cara removed a hand from her face and moved the other to rest on the side of her forehead. He's so cute, she thought with a small shake of her head.

Bucky turned at different angles to briefly look at his peers. "You may proceed to eat your lunch, now." He stepped off the table and sat back down beside Cara. She immediately swatted his arm.

"Hey!" he said in defence. "What was that for?"

"Embarrassing me!" she hissed quietly.

Bucky simply gave her a look. Then, his eyes narrowed. "Maybe I shoulda brought you up there with me and given you a kiss for every year you've been alive on earth. Would you prefer that, doll?

Cara knew he was smirking. She could almost hear it. She turned her head and glared at Bucky. It didn't last long, though-- she could never stay mad at that smile. "Don't," she commanded curtly.

"Theres' still time for that, though," he continued, ignoring Caras' words completely.

Steve scrunched up his nose in disgust. "If you do, could you save it for later, guys? I'm trying to eat."