15 - The Black Wall

Enjoy another chapter.  Thank you to all the readers for keeping track of the story and being patient on my, sometimes long, updates.  Vote if you are here - and maybe if you haven't before - vote on past chapters too.

- December 17, Custer WA -

“What do you think it is?”

“I have no idea.” She says, resting one of her hands on the hood of the car.  A few days have passed since she got me locked in jail, but everything worked out.  After I was released Aleniese showed me what to do in order to lose my tail and get picked up.  We then had to return to where she got the truck and left that jeep so we could pick the jeep up and return it to where we found it.

Luck was on our side with that one, it seems the couple we stole the jeep from never even knew it was gone.  They must have had a really crazy two days to not even realize their car was stolen.  Made it easier for us to bury the trail.  After that we continued north, we continued until—this—thing.

It looks like a massive black wall spreading in both directions right across the highway and as far as the eye can see.  Other cars seem to drive through the black bubble as if it doesn’t exist, their shadows running up the dome like reflections and disintegrating as the vehicles push further in. 

It seems like no one else could see the bubble and the cars drove to the doom without issue.  Even more so, just as many different cars drove out of the bubble on the other side of the road.  We pulled over when seeing the black wall.  If no one else could see it there has to be a reason why we could.

“I’m going to go take a closer look,” she says.

There has to be a reason we can see it and others can’t maybe it’s that she’s not human, maybe it’s because I’m connected to a demon?  “Be careful.” I say, watching her slowly walk up to the wall.  We’re close it now.  She stopped the truck maybe twenty feet from the barrier.  I took a gander into the passenger seat of the truck; there lay her book of names.  I’ve started memorizing the names. 

I’m not sure why, but I feel it’s important to learn the names of those she took.  The police mentioned five dozen, but there are a few hundred in the book.  I’m assuming a lot of these people are just reported missing and never found.  It’s sad really; their friends and family may not even know they are dead.

I look just under the book, there is a metal mask, something we were able to pick up at a hardware store in Reno on the way back north.  The mask is a heavy duty air filter; it’s designed for workers who work with spray paint or other harmful chemicals.  It’s like a compact gas mask, there’s a little container on one side that uses chemicals to filter out and clean the air and a vent on the other side that I breathe through.  The entire contraption is a dark stainless steel. A beauty really and worlds better than the surgical masks I was using before.  But there’s only one, she’s found that since she’s the one that creates the attraction she absorbs some of it internally, making getting dosed unavoidable.

I look up again, she’s right next to the wall—inches away, and has a hand out.

“Should you really touch it?” I ask.

She doesn’t reply and her hand moves closer. A chill goes down my spine.  I would really like for Aleniese to be here right now, I feel like something really bad is about to happen. Her fingers touch.  The black wall ripples.  The ripples grow in quantity and mass, in seconds massive waves the size of small mountains are rolling across the wall, all starting directly at her hand. 

She pushes harder and harder and the wall bends like plastic wrap but won’t let her fingers pass, it only creates bigger ripples.  I watch as the mountain size ripples go off in the distance.  She removes her hand, “I can’t pass.” She shouts.