20 - Perfect Little Purebred

Sexy Scene incoming.  Did I ruin it? ;)  Enjoy.  Vote? Comment? Next chapter is the LAST chapter :)

-December 23 Steese Highway North of Fox, AK-

“Come on, get in.” I say, reaching over to pull the lever on the passenger seat to that Lil can slip in behind the seats.  She seems to think that those men have spies everywhere and that even just seeing her in the truck will cause them to chase us again.  Honestly I think they have no idea where we went and I doubt there’s much more than the dozen or so that trapped us in the diner.  But I’m not going to argue with her hiding.  Not to mention she’s used the tarp and jackets to create a nice little bed across the two seats and has filled in the gap in the middle.

I sit down and look ahead.  We’re not going anywhere anymore.  We’re just driving for the sake of driving.  To my right is a diner, the last sign of human life before the nothingness ahead of us.  Lil shuffles around in the back and pulls the seat back up.  It’s cool inside the truck but it hardly matters anymore, I’ve already caved in to always being cold, just a fact of life out here.  Cold and darkness, I’m not sure how anyone could live a lifetime in such a depressing place. 

With the door closed I let the car heat up on the inside, I know taking off right away will fog the window and blind me.  I have to wait till it’s warm enough to drive.  I sigh; Clarine has been gone for two days now.  How the hell is she supposed to find me if I’m not even in the city she told me to wait at?  It’s not my fault I couldn’t stay in Fairbanks; we can blame that one on Lil and her more than gracious friends. 

I look at what’s on the other side of Lil, in the truck bed.  Aleniese brought the crate with us when he flew us back to the truck.  It was probably the coldest I’ve ever been for that tortuous minute.  The damned thing is in the back now with all of Clarine’s jars of mystery pushed aside. 

Just as I’m about to pull the truck into drive the passenger door opens.  I look over.  Speaking of Clare.  She slips into the truck, sits down, and closes the door.  White, she’s in all white. White pants, jacket, white gloves, and what looks like a fox-fur rim of the jacket that’s a light brown with strands of black and gray.  “Clare,” I say.

“Yeah.” She replies.

“So… white.”

“Yeah.” She says again, not nearly as pleasing and calming as the first one. 

“What happened?”

“Aleniese is suicidal.”

“I know.” I say, causing her to freeze in place.

She pulls the gloves off her hands rests them on the small compartment between the two seats.  She leans over the seat to me, and for some reason this lures me in.  Our lips connect over the middle of the truck and she wraps her arms around the back of my head.  Her hands are warm around my shoulders but her lips are chilling to the touch.

“Ewe.” I hear from behind. 

Clarine pulls away and turns to catch Lil right in the eyes.  She stars at the little girl for a while before turning back to me, “I’m gone for two days and you replace me?” 

“Well, I kinda didn’t have a choice, she’s… special.”

“I’m sure she is.” Clarine moves her hands back to her side of the truck, “Who are you?” she asks Lil.

Lil doesn’t speak, there’s this cold stare in her eyes.  She pulls herself up against the window of the truck and plops down in the chair, folding her hands while keeping those eyes of hers right on Clarine.  “This is Lil. I picked her up the day after you, took off.” I say, trying to break the ice, “she was in the middle of the road freezing her ass off, I couldn’t leave her.”