{ Charlotte }

26 ● 01 ● 16

“Don’t jump!”

The voice came from behind me.

I turned around, hoping it wasn’t my little brother, but it came from a little girl instead.

She was covered in dirt, probably from playing in the woods, and her baby face feigned curiosity and concern. She looked only 7 years old.

I couldn’t let an innocent child witness my…

Taking a big breath, I walked slow steps towards the girl and made her sit down next to me.

“Why were you about to jump off that cliff?” She asked, her eyebrows scrunching up and making a tiny pout with her lips.

I chuckled. Would I miss seeing this adorable child?

I cleared my throat, then whispered hoarsely, “It’s a secret.” I said it with a weak smile, and my chapped lips stung as I stretched it.

The little girl must’ve noticed me wince, because she handed me the small stuffed bear she was holding.

“Oh no! Don’t be sad, here, Mr. Bear Bear will take care of your boo boo.” She flashed me a big smile and proceeded to dab the bear’s paw on my lips.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“My mommy calls me Lottie, but I think Charlotte sounds better. She’s actually picking berries right now. Do you want to meet her? I’ll go get-”

“No!” My voice was raspy, and I grabbed the girl down. A bit too harsh. She tensed up.

“I’m sorry Charlotte, but, well, do you want to know my secret?” I tried to sound soft and calm, my hand gently patted her shoulder, and she relaxed a little.

“I’ve just been awfully…sad.” I cast a sideway glance to her, expecting a confused look on the little angelic face of hers, but instead she almost looked like she…understood.

“Mommy said that when I’m sad, I should pray.” She said, her words surprising me a little. Then she put her small arms around me and squeezed with all her might.

“She also said that hugging makes it better.” She muffled, still holding me tight, making my cheeks grow warm.

I didn’t know that a kid could care for me this much.

Then, giving me another of her sweet little smiles, she bowed her head, fluttered her eyes closed, clasped her hands, and said softly,

“Dear God, my friend is sad.”

A lump formed in my throat as she continued with her prayer.

“I don’t want her to be sad. She should be happy because she is beautiful like my mommy, and she is smart because she wore something blue, which is my favorite color.”

I chuckled and almost let out a sob at the same time. I couldn’t be beautiful.

“I don’t know why she wanted to jump off that cliff, but I know that it’s dangerous because mommy said so. Please take care of my friend, and please don’t let her jump off any cliff ever again. I know that you will love her like you love me and mommy. I love you, in the name of Jesus, Amen.”

And the flood came. The dams broke open. Tears just kept coming and coming and coming. I wailed and sobbed and looked like a mess.

But I didn’t scare Charlotte away.

She only embraced me, putting all her might to her hug and whispered over and over while rubbing my back, “It’s okay, it’s okay.”

I felt loved that day, amazed that such a little person like Charlotte could move me with her short but touching prayer, and she made me promise something.

“Please don’t do anything that’s going to hurt you. Can you please promise me that?” She said, giving me puppy dog eyes.

A lump formed in my throat again, but I managed to swallow it down.

“I..” I coughed, my throat hurt, but I wanted to make the promise.

This time, with a much clearer voice I said, “I promise, little Charlotte.”

I promised to myself as well.

She smiled at me, the sweet kind that melts your heart and stays in your memory forever.

She gave me Mr. Bear Bear, saying that he would keep an eye on me for her, and made me pinky promise again with her.

And I kept that promise.

A/N: AAAH. THIS IS FROM AN OLD BLOG I HAVE CALLED WRITTENWITHBURNINGPASSIONBLOG. I REALIZED HOW MUCH MORE CREATIVE I WAS BACK THEN, CUZ NOW IM JUST A FAT TINY POTATO WITH NO PURPOSE WHATSOEVER. I THINK I HAVE WRITER'S BLOCK. BTW, YOU'RE AMAZING. ♥