Chapter 8

It's been exactly week since my mom flew out hundreds of miles away, leaving me stranded at home. I was currently sat in a swivel chair in the back room of the bookstore with Julia to keep me company.

"Ugh, it seems like everyone is spending their summer so nicely and I'm stuck here." I ranted on as I moved empty boxes around.

"You know I would take you if I could." Julia unfolded her arms from her chest and took a sip of her coffee she brought us. "It's a mission trip to Africa and I've had to pass it up for the past 3 years."

"I know, I know. It'll be fun, you'll have a great time." I turned around and smiled weakly at her.

"I really hope so." She unlocked her phone to check the time and shoved it back in her back pocket. "It's getting late and I've got to start packing so I'll check up in the morning alright?" Julia walked towards me with arms open, grabbing me in for a tight hug.

"You're the best, thanks for listening to me rant on about my boring life." I said pulling back from the embrace. She giggled at my statement before heading towards the door and opening it. "Bye Julia!" I called out.

"Bye Maddie!" And with that, she let the door shut and she was gone from my view.

I sighed deeply, picking up the box of books up off the ground that needed to be restocked. The box rested on my hip as my arm wrapped around the side of the stiff cardboard. I pressed my back against the cold door and started walking towards the multiple aisles.

Closing time was in an hour so I was surprised when I heard the familiar bell chime from the door. I continued on, weaving in and out of aisles.

I found an empty gap on the shelf and made my way over, setting the stack of novels by my feet. I dug through and picked up the needed books that fit the section. My back straightened out and I looked through the gap to find a pair of beaming green eyes staring back at me.

I gasped and immediately dropped the books, jumping back as my heart pounded against my chest. My eyes darted towards the figure that turned the corner, a soft chuckling being heard.

"You're lucky no one was here to see that." Michael said still laughing to himself as he picked up the fallen books.

"I am so close to punching you right now." I stated through gritted teeth. I watched him stand back up and stroll towards me with the same open arms Julia had. I took a step back, letting myself hit the shelf behind me. "I'm not hugging you, go away!" I put my arms in front of me and placed them on his chest, pushing him back.

"Aw come on!" He cooed. "I didn't mean to scare you that bad!" He came closer to me again and despite my attempts to keep him away, he pushed my arms to my sides as he squeezed me tight.

"Michael I can't breathe!" I laughed through shortened breaths. I moved my shoulders back and forth in hopes of him loosening his grip, which wasn't working out. He pulled back from me and had a mischievous look on his face.

"How about you lock this place up early, I want to take you somewhere."

"I can't just close this place an hour early." I said in a confused tone.

"Sure you can. You're the only one here and you have the keys." He replied back with a smirk on his face.

I looked around unknowingly, but decided to take the risk. Sure, a few drinks here and there at parties and being snippy were about as much trouble as I got into, but when it came to my job and curfew I made sure my head was screwed on right. I knew I shouldn't, but at the moment that's not what I wanted. Or at least that's not what Michael convinced me that I wanted.