Chapter 37

"Okay now 'M'." Michael stated, gripping onto the steering wheel tighter. 

We had been playing the classic road game of where you go through the alphabet and find a sign that had a place or road that began with that letter. Despite his attitude this morning, he actually fell very tired shortly after and was now surviving on energy drinks and probably 3 cups of coffee. I insisted on driving, but he insisted not. Which I wasn't very hopeful with my offer anyways.

I scanned the signs out the window as I tried to get a glimpse of the words that reflected in the dark of the night. We've been driving for about 13 hours and only made a few stops, but I was nearly back home and it made me more excited than ever. My attention was caught by a sign that read that the exit we were supposed to turn of to was coming up in a couple hundred feet.

"Michael." I called out as he drove right passed the turn.

"That's not on a sign." He replied. I shifted my weight in the seat so I could face him. He glanced over at me then back to the road. "What?" He half smiled. I smacked his arm and gave him a glare. "I'm driving you know." He stated, rubbing over his arm that was probably stinging.

"You missed the exit." I told him, holding out my hand to the windshield as exits were passing up. He hit the steering wheel once then muttered a few profanities. 

"Why didn't you tell me?!" He exclaimed. I raised an eyebrow at him as I brought my legs up to rest them on the dashboard. 

"You're kidding right?" I questioned looking over at him. A smile pulled pulled at the corner of his mouth then vanished right as caught himself doing so. "Just pull into a gas station and we can turn around there." I suggested.

Knowing Michael, I was actually suspecting to get lost and not get home for another 3 days. We were in a 2 hour radius of our homes he knew how to maneuver his way through the city easily, but apparently not as well as he boasted that he did. The turn around was easy so I wasn't worried, but the fact that I even had a GPS next to him just made me want to tape it to the steering wheel.

After a few minutes of driving further down the road we found a, somewhat sketchy, gas station. To my surprise he pulled into one of the spaces on the side of the store. I sat up right and watched as he dug through his wallet.

"What are you doing?" I asked, lightly shaking my head.

"I'm hungry." He mumbled. He looked up at me quickly. "Do you want anything?" I had a completely blank facial expression on my face from his question and actions. He stood up right out of the car and stared at me, as if he was expecting an answer. "I'll take that as a no." He said, raising his eyebrows. I stuck my tongue out at him, the way you did to someone you didn't like in the third grade. He ignored my childish behavior and shut the door, locking it behind him.

I sighed and slumped back in my seat, pulling out my phone from my bag. I'd been texting Julia, Lue, and Annabel non stop since they learned I'm moving back and they were beyond ecstatic. According to Michael, it was basically all his idea to come surprise me, but according to my friends they had a little bit more of an influence on it than he mentioned.

I smiled at the texts that reminded me that I was to be home in 2 hours. The silence I sat in was broken by a gentle tap on the door. I looked around, not exactly wanting to sit up and see a masked murderer outside my door. I quickly dialed Michael's number, but was then startled by his ringer as he had left his phone in the car.

I shut it off and tossed it back into his seat. I jumped once I heard another tap on the door and this time it came closer. My heart started beating faster as I sat up straight. I peered out my window then began to lean over towards it to see if anyone was there.