Chapter 18

It was the morning that my mom came in from her business trip and I had to be at the airport at 8AM to pick her up. Annabel, Lue, and Michael were all over to help get a few things in order. Luckily, the drive was only about 25 minutes. I was leaving at 7 since I knew there would be traffic and because I had to figure my way around to get to her gate in time. The time was currently 6:45 and I'm pretty sure we were all exhausted.

"Maddie?" Lue called from upstairs.

"Yeah?" I yelled back from the kitchen. Lue popped her head around the corner and Annabel followed shortly after.

"We're heading off to the store to pick up things for breakfast. Do you need anything else besides the list you gave us?" I groaned at her question, completely forgetting that I planned for her to come home to a nice, home cooked meal, which I'm pretty sure she missed. "I'll take that as a no." They both exchanged laughs at my incoherent response. "What about you Michael?" We turned his way simultaneously.

He was sprawled on the couch, half asleep, phone in hand. Something I'd seen a numerous amount of times. A groan sounding similar to mine came from his mouth as he was probably just as discouraged to do anything as I was.

"It's too early." He muttered, completely ignoring her offer. His eyes already revealed his statement well enough.

"Alright, well we're off." Lue sighed. "We'll probably pass you on the way back in." And with those words, my front door shut loudly. A sound that wasn't too pleasant in the time of the morning where the sun hadn't even come up yet.

I continued to get this meal together from where I had left off when I was slightly interrupted. My hands were digging through baking ingredients, pulling out what we had and leaving an empty space on the counter for what they were going to bring back. I stood on my tip toes so I could reach the glass plates that were an inch too high. I jumped and finally got a hold on a plate which only came tumbling down from my lack of grip and shattered on the floor around my feet.

"Shit." I mumbled. I crouched down carefully, picking up the pieces one by one. The sound of Michael running into the kitchen stopped me from my actions.

"What happened in-Oh." He immediately took notice of the scene and realized what had happened. He dropped down next to me without warning and started the same process of picking up the sharp edges.

"Hey, I made the mess, so I'll pick it up."

"Not when it's broken glass. I'll take care of this, you can get ready to head out." He strictly said as he nodded his head towards my door. I rolled my eyes, not liking the extremely protective manner he had towards me. I ignored him as I stood up and stepped over the mess. I had a handful of glass that I threw under the sink without a care. I felt a prick on my finger and I jerked my hand back. My hand now hand a fresh slice on the inside of my finger.

"Dammit Maddie." Michael grumbled as he too stepped over the glass.

"I'm fine. It's just a cut." I protested. He hoisted me up onto the counter by my waist despite my fight. He moved my legs so he could stand in between them to get as close to me as he could. My hand was flipped over by his and by this time the small wound had stopped bleeding. As he picked his head up we both became aware of just how close were.

"Tell me where it hurts." He whispered, his breath tickling my neck.

"It doesn't-" I cut myself off when I felt his lips attach on to me.

"Here?" He started right above my collar bone. He slowly let his lips drag across my skin as he made his way up higher. I tilted my head to the side, giving him more access.