Epilogue

I placed the laced veil over my eyes, pulling it at places until it laid flat. I scanned my dress in the mirror and shook out the back of my hair. I'd always dreamed about getting married ever since I was a little girl. Exchanging vows on white sand with the sounds of the ocean in the background, a gorgeous wedding dress, all of my family and friends. I sighed as I stared at myself back in the mirror.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts and I looked over my shoulder to see my mother standing in the doorway. I gave her a warm smile as she took a few steps in, her heels clicking against the bamboo floors.

"You look beautiful." She said as she appeared in the mirror behind me. "But I do need my veil." She chuckled. I took one last look in the mirror, comparing her crisp white dress to my short rose one.

That's right, my mother was about to get married to the man I mistook as our realtor nearly 3 years ago. Over the years Dan really filled the spot of the fatherly figure, although it did take me a little while to warm up to him, I'm really glad that I did. My mom has never looked happier and more glowing than she does today.

"As do you." I returned the compliment as I handed back the lace piece to her. She adjusted it on her head with ease, something I was not very skilled at. The sun peaked through the window and reflected off her diamond ring with every move she made. Dan was very successful as well as my mom, so cash was rolling in and they sure did impress me with the ring. She turned to me and gave me a sheepish smile, grabbing the sides of my shoulders.

"You know Michael is coming." She slowly said. I nodded my head at her, tugging my lips to the side.

After over 2 years, Michael and I had broken up a little over 8 months ago. And it was over the most ridiculous thing. We'd finished our 'honeymoon phase' and had been fighting for days straight. I was the one to call it off and to this day it has been one of the worst mistakes I've made. I grew up with fighting and screaming and decided that I didn't want that with Michael, so I left. And he never chased after me.

"I haven't seen him since." I told her, scrunching up my nose.

"Maybe this is the time to change things." She suggested. I shrugged my shoulders and looked down to the floor.

"I better get out there before people start wondering where I am." I breathed out. My mom pulled me into a tight hug luckily just as I felt the lump in my throat which she was able to get rid of. "I love you." I spoke over her shoulder. She pulled back with the biggest smile I've seen.

"And I love you more. Get out there." She nodded towards the window and out to the beautiful beach scenery. My mother may have also used me as an inspiration for her wedding.

I stepped out of her dressing room and out into the cool evening air. The sun was just about to set and instantly regretted bringing a jacket. I was about to walk down the aisle and to my seat right in the front row when I realized I was the last person to show up. I searched the rows of chairs for any familiar family members, but was more caught by the familiar white hair peaking through the crowd.

I took a deep breath and crossed my arms in attempts to rid my goosebumps. I walked down the aisle and up to the front row with the feeling of Michael's eyes on me the whole time. I was sat just at the end of the row and to my luck, or maybe not my luck, Michael was sat right behind me.

In full truth, I'd never gotten over Michael. And I don't think I ever would. I don't know Michael felt about all of it since we haven't made a sliver of contact since we broke up, but I guessed he was over it, or well, me.

Music began playing, signaling that my mom was preparing to come down the aisle. Everyone's head turned to the back and to where people started lining up to walk down. I couldn't help but glance at Michael and take notice that his arm was wrapped around the chair next to him that a family friend was sat in. My eyes trailed along his arm, stopping at his hand where he had tattooed a lighthouse on his thumb.