Chapter 9

We quietly pushed the door open, knowing the Mrs. Louise was probably asleep at midnight. I felt a bit nervous for some reason, like as if I shouldn't be there. He flipped on a lamp and sneaked into the kitchen. I noticed a note on the counter top and read it off to Michael.

"Asked to stay and work the night shift at the hospital. I'll be back in the morning. Stay out of trouble." I raised an eyebrow and looked around for him. "Michael?" I called out. No answer.

I stepped into the living room and peered around. "Michael?" My head snapped up at the sound of footsteps on the stairs. I followed to echoing sound through the house and ran up the steps. "Michael!" I yelled. All I heard was a slight giggle a door shut. I was left to stand at the end of the lengthy hallway.

I had to admit, I was somewhat freaked out. I knew it was just Michael and I at his house, but this actually felt like a horror movie. I could tell he was up to something and he just wanted me to play along, so I did.

There were four doors in the hallway. Two on the left, one on the right, and one at the very end. I slowly walked to the first door on the left and opened in, sticking my head in. Nothing. I checked in side the other two rooms and walked over to the door at the end.

"Michaellll." I sing-songed. I stepped inside the room and shut the door behind me. The walls were a soft grey, along with the bed spread. A lamp lit the room, but it didn't do much justice. I looked around, noticing a few band posters hanging next to the bed.

The table next to it had a picture of what looked like two parents and they're young boy who looked around 9 or 10. I picked the frame up and instantly recognized the child: Michael. He basically looked the same, just his hair was a different color.

My eyes trailed around the room and I got up off his bed and stepped towards the wall where his posters were attached to. I scanned each picture when I heard someone clearing their throat.

Michael was leaned against his door frame, and now in dry clothes. His arms were folded loosely across his chest and one ankle crossed the other.

"I didn't even hear you come in.." I said in a hushed tone.

"Snooping around I see?" He asked, a cheeky smile on his face. He sat on his bed and let his legs dangle off the edge. He patted the spot next to him, wanting me to join him.

"Well," I turned to him and folded my arms across my chest, just the way he had them when he stood in the doorway. "You did leave me on a chase to find you." I stopped directly in front of him, ignoring his gesture to sit. My knees were touching his, as there wasn't very much room from the bed to the wall.

"You know what we should do?" He placed his elbows on his knees and stared up at me. I raised an eyebrow as I glared back down at him and let him continue on. A smug smile pulled at his lips as he began to stand up. His tall frame lingered over me, making me feel vulnerable.

Michael reached over my head, grabbing a box off the shelf that was opposite of the wall in front of it. He was gently pressed against me, but nothing too uncomfortable. He settled back to his original state, sitting on the bed. A white, plastic card was in his between his pointer and middle finger and I instantly recognized the fake ID.

"No way, Michael. Your grandmother specifically said no getting in trouble. And using a fake ID to get alcohol and into clubs isn't staying out of trouble." I sternly said, sounding more like his mother than friend.

"Live a little. No one will find out." He snickered.

I bent over, placing my hands on his knees and met him at eye level. No words came out of my mouth, hoping he'd get the hint that there was no way in hell this was happening. His smile faded into sullen frown, then back into a smirk.