One

2039, Frank: 9 years old

"Who are we having over today?" Frank asked his mother and leaned his chin on the counter he was sitting at. He watched his mother make her way to the clear built in touch screen on the kitchen wall. The glass was extremely clear and of course his mother cleaned it right after using it so there wouldn't be any stray fingerprints on it. He got scolded for using it without cleaning it off once he was finished.

His mother entered a pass code on the touch screen and unlocked it, standing there in thought for a moment before commanding the touch screen to play classical music. Soon, the room was filled with the sound of soft violins and other various instruments coming from the speakers built into the pristine white walls. Frank glanced around once before turning his attention back to his mother who was now wiping the screen clean with a soft cloth.

"We're going to have my friends come over, Emma and Scott Nestor." His mother flashed him a quick smile, pressing a silver button in the wall that turned on the facet that was attached to the sink. She wet the cloth under the water and wringed it out, moving onto getting lettuce out from the fridge and going to wash it. She lowered the water pressure with a small remote she had near the window and brought the temperature down so the water was colder than normal room temperature.

"Who're they?" Frank asked and swung his short legs off the stool so he could stand.

"You'll see. They're nice people, I can promise you that." Linda said as she picked off large sheets of green lettuce.

"I don't like meeting new people." Frank said quietly. He looked down at his shoes with a frown on his lips. He clicked his heels together with a quiet sigh. Frank knew he was never a social butterfly, he was incredibly awkward around people, especially unfamiliar faces. Frank preferred to be alone in his room or outside with a book. Technology just wasn't for the younger boy - is despised him and he despised technology.

"I know, Frank, but these are very important people that you'll be meeting today." His mother smiled down at him. "That means I'll need you inside at all times, you hear me?"

Although Frank groaned and hanged his head with dismay, he knew better than to disobey his mother or let him down, so he'd have to suck it up and deal with whoever was coming just for a few hours.

-------------

"Frank, these are my friends, Emma and Scott Nestor." Linda gestured to the two adults standing in the doorway as she introduced her son to him. "This is my son Frank. I know you have been dying to meet him." Linda laughed and patted Frank's head fondly.

Frank looked up at them with wide eyes, flushing from embarrassment under their stares and gentle smiles. He shifted awkwardly and waved. "Um, hello." He mumbled.

"Nice to meet you, Frank." Said the last with the black hair nicely.

At least she seems kind, Frank thought to himself.

"Oh, this is our daughter, Jamia." Emma looked behind her and said a few things before moving away to reveal a girl only an inch or two taller than Frank. She was hiding behind her parents and her cheeks were pink. Frank guessed that she was as shy as he was.

Jamia was pretty. She had long black hair and big brown eyes, and her cheeks were stained pink with her blush unlike the red blotches Frank got on his cheeks when the blood rushed to his face. She smiled timidly and waved at Frank with her tiny hand.

"So this is Jamia." Linda smiled with a fascinated look on her face. Her eyes were set on the girl and they just lit up at the sight of her standing there and looking like she was afraid. Jamia reminded Frank of a deer, a small one for that matter.

"Frank, why don't you show Jamia around? I'm sure she'd like some company." Linda gently pushed Frank towards Jamia. He stumbled and looked a little disgruntled, but he waved at Jamia again and did as his mother suggested anyways. He showed her the backyard, some of the rooms in the house, even his toy collection. He knew she was a nice girl wouldn't touch anything precious to him. At first she seemed incredibly quiet, but she soon grew a little more comfortable around Frank and the two started having conversations. Both of their personalities were similar - maybe a little too similar since Frank was not one to strike up conversation, but he did like Jamia after all.

Linda spoke with her friends and caught up while making dinner, and of course, they spoke about Frank and Jamia. The two seemed to be getting along well, their personalities were quite alike in a good sense. They were excited to see what would happen in the future between their children, like the marriage that would for sure happen when they were full grown adults.

But in the back of Linda's mind, she felt the guilt settling in her stomach. Frank was not meant for Jamia in reality, Jamia also had another match before Linda changed it. What she did haunted her every day or every time matching was mentioned. Her husband did not know about Linda's actions, he was told that Frank's match has been fixed at the first match had indeed been a glitch. As far as everyone knew, Frank and Jamia were meant to be. This was how everyone saw it, this was how the society was supposed to be - a heterosexual relationship. Frank would not be damned to being linked to a boy, the entire family would be ruined including the other kid's.

In a way, Linda felt like she had done both of the boys a favor. She saved them from being judged, saved them from society's eyes. Her actions could not be viewed as a mistake because the system would have eventually split the two apart if she had not done it herself. Frank could find love with Jamia instead, Linda would be granted with grandchildren in the future and her son would be happy.

But she remembered the vision of her son and Jamia together. They were connected, but they felt strange about it, they did not look like they were in love as they should have been if they were truly matched. They were puzzle pieces, but not for the same puzzle.

Now, as Linda watched the two children play together and enjoy each other's company, she could only pray for the best. If this did not work out, if it all fell to pieces before her eyes, then Linda would not be able to live with herself if it meant her son's unhappiness was all her fault. Many things were on the line, and many things simply could not be discovered.

And there was a thought that crossed Linda's mind once or twice - what is Frank and this other boy somehow met in the future?

There was not much Linda could do to prevent that. But she would try, her son would certainly not be allowed to go out of the house very often unless it was with Jamia. Perhaps a very close friend, but only the time could tell whether Frank grew out of his antisocial ways and made a few more friends. And besides, the other boy must have been given another match just as Frank had. If they were all lucky, he would be with his match already and Frank would be with Jamia. If this was how the situation played out, Linda would gladly welcome it with open arms.

And if she were really lucky, no one would discover what Linda had done and everyone would be allowed to live peacefully as they should.