Five

2047 (present day), Frank: 18 years old

Frank woke up with a gasp in the back of his throat and a tingling sensation on his lips. His eyes shot wide open, burning from dryness and tiredness he had been feeling all week long. The first word that came into his mind on instinct was 'fuck'. Nothing short from the usual every morning, but today, this was different. The curse word echoed in his head not as a reflection of annoyance, but one of anger and pure sadness. A sorrow so deep that it rushed through his veins and shook him to his very core, sending waves of the emotion straight to the organ pumping in his chest. Frank felt his fingers twitch, and when he looked at his hand that rested near his head, he realized that a pale and graceful hand was no longer clasping it.

He stared up at the skylight ceiling above him with burning eyes and still tingling lips. Frank brought his fingertips to his chapped lips, touching the puckered and dried skin there. His fingers lingered there as he watched the sky above him turn a subtle purple; an indication that the sun was beginning to rise. Frank swept his tongue across his lips and closed his eyes again despite the dry pain he felt behind his lids. And, so vividly, he recalled the dream that left his lips tingling.

"I really wish I could touch you." Gerard breathed out, his breath fanning across Frank's face. Their close proximity would have been too close for comfort if it had not been Gerard standing in front of him. But no, Frank wanted him this close. Close as he could get without really touching him.

Frank took his bottom lip between his teeth and bit down on the skin. He squeezed his eyes shut and exhaled through his nose.

"You can touch me." Frank said softly. He looked into Gerard's green and brown eyes, relishing in the way the other's pale cheeks filled with color at Frank's words. "You're so smart - just try and imagine what I would feel like."
The dryness behind Frank's lids was becoming unexpectedly moist. What was happening? There was a tug at his heart, his throat contracted, and heat began to form behind his eyes.

"You won't feel me." Gerard said in a small voice. But despite that minor statement, he raised his hand up slowly, reaching for Frank's face with his palm facing inwards. Frank braced himself for the touch even if he would not feel it.

Wetness started to leak from the corners of Frank's eyes. The tightening of his throat and the heat building up behind his eyes and face told Frank that he was crying. His sorrow was too much and the tears could not be held back for long. He blinked his eyes open, his lips parting to inhale a small gasping breath.

"You look so soft, Frank." Gerard breathed out with wonder and longing painted all over his face. His palm cupped Frank's cheek, the thumb swiping across his cheekbone. Frank leaned into his hand, aching for the exchange of warmth. Gerard's pupils shrunk when he met Frank's eyes, his expression melting into one Frank had never seen before.

Frank's chest rattled and his body shook when he felt a sob wanting to escape. He tensed his stomach muscles to keep it from bubbling passed his lips. He winced from the pain in his heart, turning his face into the pillow to muffle his gasping breaths and short whimpers.

"I would imagine that you're soft too, Gerard." Frank reached forward and wrapped his hand around the other's wrist. He ran his fingers along the inside of Gerard's wrist and wished so badly that he could trace the blue veins showing through the thin layers of white translucent flesh there. Gerard stared at Frank with an intensity that Frank was not sure if it was just a friendly adoring gaze. No, Frank felt something churn in his stomach when Gerard looked at him like that.

Frank clutched his sheets with his fist and tried to control his breathing, control anything, but another wave of sorrow flashed through his boy and the sob he had been holding back could not be stopped much longer. He let it out, his body shuddering.