Chapter Fourteen: Striking A Deal With The Grim Reaper Himself

A/N: Hey guys! I know you'll probably hate me for being so irregular but I have a genuine reason :( I was severely sick and had to take time out to recover. I'm so sorry that I couldn't be more punctual but I'm pleased to let you know that my trip to the UK went incredibly well and I hope to do a better job at representing Mel's journey through the wonderful city of London.

Make sure to FOLLOW ME to receive news about the latest updates and whatnot!

Happy Reading! xx

I was tapping my right heel rapidly on the crystalline marble floor with every intention to crack it. The range of emotions I was feeling currently was largely inclined towards the furious end but I was trying my best to focus on the virtue of patience. Telephones were ringing without a halt and people of all ages and sizes were bustling through the glass corridors. I had been sitting outside Clara's office for thirty minutes and was only beginning to grasp how busy an office can be at an hour as early as nine on a Monday morning.

After a disguised bloke had manhandled me the previous afternoon, I stamped out of the building and took off in the beckoned limousine. This was absolutely ridiculous because less than a week ago, I didn't have half the monsters in my life that I had now. The chauffer seemed to have sensed my anger and remained silent, driving for while, before timidly requesting to know my destination. I decided it was the perfect time to visit my mom's checklist and roamed the city for the rest of the evening.

I ditched my ride at a cozy café that I found on Yelp in the heart of London before wandering away into the busy lanes, feeling like a real tourist for the first time. I crossed a few blocks before I spotted a red double-decker bus across the street that was loading passengers. Quickly chasing the vehicle, I ascended to the top level and occupied a spot in the back. Loosely wrapping a scarf that I had stuffed in my sling and buttoning my trench coat, I relaxed into my seat and breathed in the fresh air. It smelled damp, but in a refreshing kind of way.

A sixty-year old woman with a head of silver hair that had a pressed blue uniform on stepped up to the microphone and cajoled extensive details about Westminster Abbey. I struggled to maintain concentration on her monologue and her layered accent combined with my inner exhaustion came together as distraction. I closed my eyes and felt far away from everything that I could call mine. Mentally starting a countdown, I dozed in and out of sleep as strong winds gushed past my frame. When the tour came to an end, I strolled back to the car and reached home to a silent night.

I had a chat with mother dearest early this morning and she readily agreed with my plea for a new boss. I might have stretched his bullying nightmares by a smidge and cut out the pregnancy scares but she got the point. I consoled Jamie briefly who sounded very concerned about a green lady flashing a torch as she drowned into the sea. Yep, she's a real prize. Dressed in a peach cashmere sweater and black tights, I tied my hair into a high pony and put on a pair of beige heels. I was not going to let anyone intimidate me out of my will to escape the plague that is Collin Abrams today.

Claire walked up to me in her coral pantsuit, powering through the mobs of people. She seemed to have gotten bangs over the weekend but they did not seem to flatter her face at all. Wondering since when I became such an expert at style, I stood up to my feet with a polite smile. She gave me a firm nod before leading me straight into Clara's cabin. The obliterating noise cancelled out in a nanosecond as we entered the sanctity within her walls.

A chair swirled around to reveal one of her hands holding up a phone to her ear but she smiled warmly at me and gestured to take a seat with her other hand. Claire exited instinctively and I quietly made my way to sit opposite her. She spoke for a minute longer as I gazed at the walls that had multiple photographs and certifications hung on them. A faint scent of lavender filled the room, and it was almost serene. My eyes glanced at the table between us that had invitations in several templates strewn across the surface.