Chapter 5

"Hello?"

The unmistakable voice comes through shortly after. "Hey Li-Olivia it's me. It's Elliot."

Olivia doesn't move. The phone stays perched against her ear, gripping it so hard her knuckles begin to turn white. Her breathing is shallow and it's like the scene in the restaurant all over again. Taken completely off guard and not knowing what to say or do.

"Olivia are you still there?" His voice is shaky, the nerves taking over. "Please. Please talk to me."

It's the second time he's begged her today. To talk. To listen. Not to leave. Instinctively she wants to rebel against it all because she doesn't owe him shit. He owes her.

Five years. Five years and she's been through hell. And he wasn't there.

Looking down at her bare feet, she finally finds the strength to answer. "Yes, I'm here." It's then she realizes she's still naked. Her other hand covers her breasts as if he can see through the phone and she starts to grab the clothes laid across the bed to put them on. "What's up Elliot? Why are you calling?"

Her curt tone is not surprising, he anticipated as much. He wanted to wait until tomorrow to call her at a decent hour but couldn't wait. The thought of talking to her had been on his mind since earlier, he was just hoping that Pippa wouldn't notice.

"I'm sorry to call so late," he starts, his sweaty palms almost losing the grip on the phone. "I just thought we needed to talk."

Olivia looks at the clock on her iPad that also shows a still sleeping Noah and rolls her eyes. "It's almost 10:30." She's struggling to keep the anger or any type of emotion out of her voice. He can't know she still cares. Fully dressed and sitting on the edge of the bed, she lets out a deep sigh.

"I know I was trying to wait until I figured your son would be sleep. I didn't want to wake him."

"Oh really, I thought it was your date that may have run a little late." Her eyes close in frustration at herself.

Good job Olivia. Way to show him you don't care.

"No, I've been at home for awhile now. Just waiting on a good time to call that's all."

Both are quiet, not knowing what to say next.

"I uhh-your boyfriend or whatever doesn't care that I called so late does he? I mean I didn't interrupt you-." The words get stuck in his throat and he stutters trying to get it all out. He didn't know if she was single or not but she had a son so there had to be a man present somewhere in her life. And asking Pippa probably wouldn't go over well.

And there it is.

She knew it wouldn't be long. Typical Elliot. Finding some roundabout way to pry into her personal life without just asking. She was annoyed already.

"No it's not a problem other than the fact that I'm not sure what you want to talk about." Being unclear about her relationship status was her goal and based on his scoff on the other end of the phone, her goal was achieved.

"Okkkkk," he drags the words out. "How are you? How have you been?"

Oh you know just got kidnapped, watched a woman get raped, sexually assaulted by a psychopath, you know the normal.

The urge to be sarcastic is tempting but she fights against it and goes with her classic response. "I'm fine."

Elliot sighs again. He knew this wouldn't be easy but the bite of her words is eating away at every bit of courage it took him to make the call. His barefeet make the floorboards of his apartment creak when he starts to pace back and forth in his bedroom, walking in circles around his queen sized bed. "Look I didn't want to keep you long I was just wondering if we could meet up for lunch tomorrow. If you want."