Chapter 15

Pippa flips her long wavy hair, straightens her black pencil skirt and exhales as the numbers on the elevator ascend closer to her destination. She's been in the 1-6 several times over the years. Today is no different. Or maybe it is a little. It's a follow up regarding one of the kids taken in custody during one of SVU's cases and will be the only time she's seen Olivia alone since everything ended with Elliot. Their last encounter had been strictly business and one of her team members was always in the room.

Sometimes she wishes she wasn't so inquisitive. Who's she kidding? She's just nosey. The knowledge that of all people Olivia is seeing Ed Tucker was surprising to say the least. Because of the complicated dynamics, she tried her best to hold back her reaction to the news when Elliot let it slip.

Remembering his face as he sat across from her and essentially told her he was in love with another woman was something she wouldn't forget anytime soon. Not because she was head over heels for him. Their courtship had been brief. But she knew all too well what is was like to have a love that deep for someone you hadn't seen in years.

Ironically she had probably spent more time with Olivia over the years than Elliot but the Lieutenant was very much a closed book especially when it came to her personal life. Now that Elliot was for all intents and purposes kind of her friend, weird dynamics be damned, she was interested in getting a feel for where Olivia's mindset was. It was overstepping and probably not the best idea, but the look in his eyes as he confided in her she couldn't forget.

She had felt that way about someone once. It seems like another lifetime ago. Star crossed lovers with wrong timing. As with all things in life, he's moved on. And so has she. But she can't shake this overwhelming uncontrollable need she has to right the wrongs. Not just in the courtroom but in life as well.

"Your crusading is going to get you in trouble Pip," her older brother with the much more common name had once told her. But she didn't care. Determined, she struts purposefully towards Olivia's office. The other officers move around the squad room all serving their purpose and briefly she spots Rollins and Carisi talking at his desk just before her gaze lands on Olivia.

The phone is glued to the Lieutenant's ear as it is more often these days. They briefly make eye contact and there is a flicker of something in Olivia's expression. For a moment she wonders if it's Elliot on the other end of the line.

Quickly ending her phone call, Olivia waves two fingers motioning for Pippa to come in. Her mannerisms are a bit rigid, the black blazer hugging her royal blue top that clings close to her body. She's wearing color more these days that matches the increasing color in her cheeks. There's definitely something different about her.

"Hey Pippa," Olivia tries to sound more jovial than her face lets on. "Whats up?"

Pippa shrugs, a small piece of her red hair falling in front of her shoulder. "I actually came by to update you on the case with Bruno."

Olivia's face immediately softens at the mention of the little boy from the case some months ago. "How is he?" Removing the glasses from her head she sets them down on the desk, and walks around to sit on the edge.

"He's ok. He's put on a little weight. They are taking really good care of him in foster care."

"That's great," Olivia praises, folding her arms. "How can I help?"

"I need you to come to family court and just talk to the judge about the conditions you found him in. There is a family looking to adopt him but they just want to hear more about his history. Chantal Jackson will be there too."

The corners of Olivia's lips lift marginally and her eyes roll towards the ceiling. There is definitely no love lost between her and the social worker. Although she ultimately recommended her for Noah's adoption, Olivia and Chantal had their share of run ins that Pippa sometimes was in the middle of. The phone calls came in several times over the span of six months with the question of Olivia's commitment to Noah. Pippa always had her back in those conversations. Olivia's schedule was much worse than hers and she was having trouble picturing how she would have kids someday even with a husband. Pippa had no idea how Olivia made it all work as a single mom but somehow she has. And she admires her for it.