Chapter 28

It's unnaturally humid outside despite the cool weather. The harsh juxtaposition in weather is just what Elliot needs as a distraction. The flimsy styrofoam coffee cup he's holding nearly disintegrates beneath the tension in his hands. Tucker is long gone thank God and even though he still can't stand him, he feels where Olivia is concerned he will actually be fair. The logistics of the shoot didn't give him much leeway to pin anything on her but old habits die hard. Tucker has done more with less.

A few beads of sweat gather at his forehead quickly cooled by the chilly air as he fidgets with his phone. It's nearly 4am and his bones are beginning to ache from physical and mental exhaustion. The city is uncharacteristically quiet. Every once in awhile his thoughts are interrupted by people not unlike himself who look worn down and worried walking into the hospital entrance near where he stands. Their emotions border from frantic to inconsolable. He imagines he looked somewhat similar to them several hours ago and closes his eyes letting the relief flood through him.

She was alright. She was safe.

After a few texts to Maureen and Kathleen assuring them that Olivia was okay, Elliot stayed outside to give her time alone to visit with the squad.

Her family.

They deserve to have their time with her and despite his need to be selfish and curl up into her reminding himself that she was okay, he relented. They've been there for her when he wasn't. And although he can't change that now he can give them the space and respect to see for themselves that their family member is okay. The time alone also gave him time to ponder his options after the call he made to Christine. He wasn't going to be able to get out of this trip. He could postpone it for a week at best. Once again he finds himself in the all too familiar position of having to choose between his family and his job.

Taking one last sip of the cold coffee he tosses the cup in a nearby trash can and makes the short trip back to her hospital room. When he opens the door the weight of it all hits him square in the chest. She's asleep. Peaceful. In the flurry of activity she must've found the time to brush her hair, looking a little more put together than she did when he left. The beeps on the machine are low and the room is uncharacteristically quiet which he assumes won't last considering the ongoing rotations of nurses in and out. He couldn't wait to get her home. It was going to be a battle for her to give in and let him help. Considering her injury and despite their fight earlier he wouldn't cave on this. She needed help.

"El?" She asks her voice raspy.

He walks to the side of her bed taking her hand in his. "I'm here."

"Noah ok?"

He smiles, kissing her on the forehead. "Yes. He's doing what every toddler does at 4am. Sleeping." Returning his smile, she pats the space next to her for him to lay down. As she scoots to the other end of the bed she winces from the pain in her shoulder. "Careful Liv. I can just sit in the chair."

"No," she insists. "I want you to lay here with me."

Elliot shucks his shoes and carefully maneuvers into the bed trying his best to avoid the various machine wires. "Ok," he says as he lifts his arm and she cuddles into him the best she can. Letting out a sigh of relief, he feels more calm than he has in days. They are both silent, the need to speak not necessary, the silence comforting. He is content being with her and does his best to put away thoughts of what could've happened and how he won't have much time to help with her recovery if he has to leave. He could find another job, he has money saved up that would last several months. All of the kids except Eli were older now and not as financially dependent on him. He didn't need to work as much as he used to.

"What did Christine say?" Olivia asks cautiously. He sighs and laces his fingers with hers across his abdomen. Of course she knew that he would call and try to get out of it. "I may have a cou--"