Chapter 21

Olivia runs from the bathroom as fast as the train of her dress will allow her in search of Ed. She didn't need time to snap herself out of her lust filled haze, the unexpected presence of her ex-romantic interest took care of that.

Leaving Elliot in the bathroom to take care of the hard on she triggered, she heads back into the main ballroom gazing around for any sign of Ed.

"He's over there talking to a few of the guys from IAB," Barba whispers from behind her. She hadn't even heard him walk up. "He seems a bit more perturbed than usual. Anything you care to share?" he asks, his trademark smirk visible.

Olivia sighs, torn between wanting to smack him for enjoying this ludicrous situation and wanting to hug him for easing some of her anxiety. "Hmm, where is Rita? I thought she would've had you pinned to a wall taking the best you had to offer by now." That does the trick. His smile instantly fades.

"Ok fine you win."

"Thought so."

"Ok but seriously," he looks around to make sure no one is listening. "What happened back there? Elliot's gone, Ed comes stomping back in here mad like he can't find a good detective's career to end and you are running around like little bo peep who has lost her sheep. What's the deal?"

Olivia sees Ed walking away from the conversation that he was in and figures this is her time to pounce. "Look I'll tell you later," she promises giving him a little pat on the elbow before walking off.

Ed is already tense when she walks up. "What do you want Olivia?"

"We need to talk," she says breathless from her sprint to get over to him.

"Talk about what? How I just witnessed you feeling up your boyfriend in the bathroom? No thanks. Now if you will excuse me."

"Wait," she grabs him by the elbow. "Come dance with me."

His jaw locks as his gaze shifts to the almost empty dance floor and back to her.

"We can talk while we are out there."

Ed doesn't speak, just nods and allows her to lead the way out to the dance floor. They join in next to another couple that was a part of the group that he was talking in earlier. Briefly she wonders if this is a colleague of his but instead turns her thoughts to what she wants to say. Defeated, she realizes she was naive in believing she would be able to maneuver this situation without hurting someone. Everywhere she turns there is a grenade she's dodging that is someone's feelings. There's only so much she can do before she just let's nature take it's course.

Olivia places her hand in his and they begin to move slowly to the soft music. Their bodies are a bit awkward, both avoiding making the dance too intimate. He's stiff in the beginning but after a few beats, he relaxes into the rhythm.

"So you wanted to talk?" he says, his cold voice breaking through the reality of the situation.

"Yeah. Look I'm sorry you witnessed what happened in the bathroom. I didn't know you were in there and I'm really not trying to make this any harder for you."

Ed rolls his eyes but his hand tightens around hers contradicting his demeanor. "It's fine," he gruffs.

"No it's not," she pleads moving just an inch closer to him so their conversation is not overheard. "I know that you and Elliot have never seen eye to eye and I know that we have our differing opinions on how you handled situations with us but we're not trying to flaunt our relationship in front of you."

Ed scoffs and tightens his hold on her waist. "Maybe you're not but Stabler has made it clear that he wants to stick it to me."

"I think that's less about me and more about how he feels you treated him. Either way that's between the two of you. I just wanted to apologize and I hope that we can at least keep things civil."