Letters From War- I

"Luc!"
"I'll be right out!"
I listen to the soft creaking of the old stairs
"Lucy, we're going to be late, doll." Bucky said tapping his knuckles on the door lightly. "Hurry-" I cut him off by swinging the door open. "-woah." He finishes. I hadn't done much besides pinning my curled hair up and putting on a simple house dress.
"Buck, we still have an hour , I-" He was leaning up against the door frame, a light smirk tugging at his lips.
"What?"
"Sorry to rush, doll, c'mon."
"Bucky, we don't need to leave yet, supper isn't until six...?"
He let out a low chuckle and swept me off my feet. I was caught in a fit of giggles at the way he was acting.
"Bucky! P-put me down!" I protested, wrapping my arms around his neck for security.
"M'lady" he said setting me on my feet and tipping his imaginary hat. He opened the car door and bowed.
"And they say chivalry's dead." I mutter. Smiling up at the man towering over me. I set a quick kiss on his cheek before slipping into the car. He runs around the opposite side of the car and struggles to get it started. "Shall we?" He sighs, embarrassed at his struggle.
"So," I start a minute later. "Where are we headed?" I question. My answer is a side ways glance and a small smirk.
"James Buchanan Barnes, tell me where we're going" I whine.
"My name's Bucky. And no it's a surprise." I sigh in defeat and cross my arms, leaning back in my seat.

I feel the car start to slow as Bucky pulls over. I send him a questioning look. He pulls a black piece of fabric out of his slacks.
"No. No way. Last time you blindfolded me, I fell into a fountain!" Bucky laughs, reminiscing
"Please doll, I promise I won't let go this time, just trust me."
I huff. "Alright." His whole face lights up. "I'm going to regret this." I sigh. He ties the fabric off and my other senses go into overdrive. I hear the engine sputter and come to life and I'm pushed back as the car accelerates. We sit in a comfortable silence, the sound of Frank Sinatra in the background. I feel the car swerve as we pull into what in assuming is a parking lot and the engine dies down.
"Can I take this off now?"
"No." He immediately corrects himself.
"Not yet."
I grumble a few choice words and slips my hand into his.
He lets out a light chuckle and rubs my hand with his thumb.
"We're almost there don't worry."
"Hey Mr. Barnes, no explosions this time right?"
"That wasn't my fault" Bucky argues
"Maybe not that the agents showed up. And I'm sure it was the dead guy that blew up that car."
"I-I well I-"
"Go on." I jokingly encourage him.
"Well, I wasn't just going to let him get away" he sighs in defeat. I laugh. I can tell he's trying not to laugh as well.
"You're adorable."
"I-" he pauses obviously thinking
"I can see your gears turning, what's the matter?"
He just laughs. A sweet melodic laugh that fills the air.
"Wait, you can't see anything."
"You know what I mean."
He takes the blindfold off and hands me a small box. "Where'd you get this?" I question pulling out a small gold chain with a star dangling off it. "Isn't it customary for the dame not to question where her man got her present?" He asks.
"Hm. Isn't it also custom for the man the put the necklace on for his dame?" I retort. A small smirk plastered on my face. Bucky smiles, taking the chain and clasping it around my neck. He places a light kiss on the back of my neck. Slipping his hand into mine, he leads me down a short path into the park where he has a little picnic set up.
"Bucky it's beautiful, but we're going out to supper with my father in half an hour."
"I thought we'd have a..light snack before." He says helping me sit.
"I love it, thank you."j
"And I love you, doll, you're welcome."