Chapter 2

(ERIC)

They sailed for what seemed like forever. The days rolled into weeks and the weeks turned added up. Eric was exhausted from the days out on the ocean, but the promise of land kept him going. The idea that he would receive payment for his work made it all worth it. They had already hit several villages up and down the coast. The men had moved swiftly and silently which helped to prevent casualties. With the payment that he received from each of the raids he would be able to afford a home for Ryah. Together they would be able to get married and start their family. After this raid, Eric would be contented to live his life as a simple farmer and raise his children. That was all that he wanted. A simple life with Ryah and their children. 

Eric crouched down in the bushes alongside hundreds of men. They varied in age, size, and skill. Eric had the advantage because he was both young and strong. Many of the other men had fought in several battles so they had the advantage of experience. They had the skills and the battle scars to prove it. Some were maimed but still incredible fighters. Eric felt like he had decent chances of returning home to Ryah with the men that he fought with.  They were the men he wanted by his side if the unexpected happened. The men looked to Torin, while he was younger than most of them, he had earned his place as their leader. They completely trusted him with their lives. 

Torin glanced around the men making sure that they were ready then he gave the signal. They burst out of the bushes and raced to the wall that was approximately twenty feet in front of them. Grappling hooks were quickly thrown up over the edge of the wall. They hooked into place and the ropes were pulled tight. Torin stepped forward as the first man to climb the rope. Several other men hurried forward to go up with him. Torin's strong arms easily hauled him up and over the wall. His feet touched the ground as several other men scurried over and silently landed on the walkway. Eric was up the wall shortly thereafter and turned around to catch the outstretched hand of the man climbing over behind him. As soon as all of the men were over the wall Torin gave the signal for them to spread out.

The men moved like smoke as they covered the top of the wall surrounding the village below them. There weren't any guards out on duty which made their task easy. Torin and Eric dropped over the other side of the wall into the village. Several other men followed them and silently spread out towards the houses that were on the edge of the town. Doors were opened and the men slipped inside. Eric followed behind Torin. He didn't have any interest in the small prizes that then men could grab and slip into their pockets. They already had several chests on board the ships which would be divided between all of the men. 

The men exited the houses and more men followed as they fanned out to explore the other houses that were near the wall. 

They had expected to run into a large force after climbing over the wall. Perhaps the wall had offered the villagers a sense of security. There weren't any guards out to protect the people while they slept. Eric kept his eyes wide open as he looked around for some sign that the villagers were aware of their presence. "That was simple." Eric said in a barely audible whisper as he caught up to Torin.

"That's what concerns me." Torin replied. They paused when a dog started barking. Eventually the animal stopped. They waited twenty breaths as they listened for movement. When there wasn't any, Torin gave the signal to move forward. He turned around and gave a wave to the men who were still on the wall. They nodded in acknowledgement and sunk down into the shadows out of sight. They would remain on the wall until the group returned. Torin didn't want all of the men down in the village if something went wrong. Having men up on the wall would help to ensure the survival of most of the men. They could offer cover with their bows and arrows as well as help the men up over the wall. 

 Eric followed Torin through the streets with his sword drawn. He could tell from Torin's behavior that something wasn't right. The village was too silent. There should have been some noise. Torin turned around and gave a signal for the men to turn back. Many of the men followed without hesitation and were up on top of the wall within a few minutes. A few grumbled in disappointment at Torin's orders, they had wanted more time. They grumbled as they ran because they trusted Torin's orders. They were just getting up the ropes when a horn sounded. The group had been discovered. The men dropped over the other side of the wall and hurried to the protection of the trees. They raced through the trees and quickly made it to the boats. All of the men pushed away from the shore and jumped on board.