Chapter 19

(TORIN)

Torin looked at the faces of the men around him. They were all exhausted yet they continued to push forward. All of the men were working together to drive the ship forward. With every tug of the oars they got a few feet closer to finding Anna and Ryah. Torin felt a tap on his shoulder and he looked up to see Jack motioning for him to trade out. Without throwing off the momentum of the ship the two men managed to trade places at the oar. 

Torin was grateful for the opportunity to stand up and stretch his back. His arms ached from the constant nonstop motion that they were hurtling forward at. With the men rotating every few hours they had managed to cover the vital distance to catch up to the ship in front of them. Torin didn't think that they were even a day behind the men in front of them. Torin flexed his arms and examined the blisters that were forming on the palms of his hands. He knew that all of the men that had accompanied them were in a similar situation. They typically didn't travel at this speed. 

Rollo stood up from his position at the oars to join Torin as he walked towards the front of the boat. There were a few men who were standing at the front as they took their break from rowing. As the hours had gone on Rollo had become quieter. Everyone on the boat had become quieter. They didn't have the energy to row and carry on a conversation at the same time. It was too much effort and used up the much needed oxygen needed to breath. 

"How are you doing?" Torin asked holding up his hand for Rollo to see the angry red welts that were beginning to form. Rollo held up his hand and Torin could see the popped blisters and the blood that was staining his hands. Torin took his hands in his own and tore a piece of cloth from his shirt to wrap his palms. "Why didn't you rotate out?!" He demanded as he tied one of the cloths into place. 

"I can't just sit by and do nothing while she is out there. I need to work with the men and get there faster."

"It's not sitting back and doing nothing when you take a rest from rowing. You'll be no good to her if you get an infection in these hands and you can't carry a sword if we get into a fight." 

Rollo tried to pull his hand away from Torin but Torin cinched the cloth tight making Rollo hiss in pain. "I am taking you out of the rotation," Torin said.

"Who is in charge of these men?" Rollo demanded rising up to his full height.

"I am in charge of these men and this vessel. You put me in charge of them when you made me their commander and you will do what I say!" Torin said and Rollo seemed to deflate. He sat down at the front of the ship with his head in his bandaged hands. 

"I can't do this anymore," he said quietly.

Torin knew that Rollo was just as exhausted as he was. The two men had sprinted throughout the night after surviving a battle. They were both dead tired and they continued to push forward. Torin sat down next to him and stretched out his legs in front of him. The ship rocked underneath them as it crashed through the waves. 

"We will catch up to them, we will find Anna and Ryah," Torin said confidently. 

"You don't know that for sure."

"Yes, I do. We will catch up to the men who took them and we will make them pay and then we will bring Anna and Ryah home. It's as simple as that." 

"Anna's pregnant." 

"Congratulations!" Torin said feeling the glimmer of hope that comes with the announcement of a new life. Rollo closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the rail of the ship looking completely miserable. 

"I don't know what's happening to her right now, I don't know if she is safe and warm or if she is even alive."

"She is alive. She's with Ryah and they are taking care of each other. They are both strong women and they will make it out of this together. They will be rescued by a dashing, strong, young warrior and his leader the tired old man."