Chapter 20

(TORIN)

After hauling the ship into the shore the men collapsed against the cold sand. Everyone was completely exhausted. Torin looked over at Rollo and he could tell that Rollo wanted everyone to get up and get moving. They were so close that they couldn't afford to waste their precious time with sleep. Rollo also knew that the men were reaching their limit. If they were to engage in a fight they wouldn't be able to defend themselves. 

"A few hours rest," Rollo said and the men who had been standing flopped down on the sand and closed their eyes. It took just a few moments for the men to fall asleep. Torin laid down and Rollo nodded at him. He would keep watch so Torin could catch up on some much needed sleep. 

<<<><><>>>

(KYLE)

"Red Demon," The leader mumbled under his breath as he stalked through the trees. His men were spread out around him moving forward cautiously. All of the men had a tight grip on their swords and they were looking around the branches of the trees. It was evident that the majority of them were terrified. "Superstitious," Kyle growled. Kyle knew that Errit would be furious if they didn't return with the two women. 

The man directly behind Kyle stumbled forward and nearly knocked Kyle off of his feet. 

"Watch it!" Kyle yelled turning around to glare at the man. He had been staring up in the trees looking for the Red Demon which was why he had tripped. He was now whimpering on the ground begging Kyle for his forgiveness. The man crouched forward on his hands and knees to kiss Kyle's boot. Kyle kicked him in the face before his lips could make contact. 

The man cried out in pain and rolled to his back holding his head in his hands. The sight made Kyle even more angry. He lifted his sword and advanced towards the man on the ground. 

"Please!" The man wailed and the sword flew through the air in an arch and plunged down into the torso of the man lying on the ground. There was a gurgle and a wheeze as the man drew in his last breath. He let it out and his arms flopped at his sides. 

"We have no room for cowards on this journey! We will move forward and get what we came for. If anyone else has a problem," He put his foot against the dead body at his feet and heaved his sword free. Kyle lifted the blade so that it could catch the sunlight streaming through the leaves of the tree. Fresh blood rolled down the length of the blade. "If anyone else has a problem," He repeated. "Come and talk to me! We will get you sorted out."

Kyle leaned down to wipe the blade clean on the tunic of the man and returned it to its sheath. 'I never even knew his name,' Kyle thought for a second as he turned and walked away from the man. 'What I did for him was merciful compared to what Errit has planned for us if we return empty handed.' 

"Sir!" 

"What?!" Kyle demanded as he spun around to look at the man who had distracted him from his thoughts. The man was clearly shaken by Kyle's explosive outburst. He swallowed loudly. Kyle raised his eyebrows and his hand moved towards the sword at his hip. "Well?" 

The man opened his mouth then closed it and pointed his finger. Kyle turned around to look and see what the man had pointed at. Up ahead of them through the trees there was the top of a tower. 

There was a murmur that rose up among the men. The story about the Red Demon started with a castle and a sick sadistic man named Roderick. The story said that the Red Demon was created in an old castle. She had been captured and tortured for weeks before her rescue. After her rescue, she was so angry with what had happened to her that she returned to the castle to drive out the man that had wronged her. She had killed him and all of his followers that didn't run. The followers that had escaped her arrow had told the tale. Over the years she had become scarier. She was known to be large and deformed from the torture she endured. It was said that she had been beaten to the point of disfigurement and her face was twisted. The Red Demon dressed in skins that had been dyed red with blood. Her hair was a bright mane of fire and she was known to torment men. She would kill with her deadly accurate arrow without asking any questions.