Chapter 5

(RYAH)

I knew that Torin was following close behind me as I took off into the trees. I didn't bother to hold up my dress as I crashed through the thick greenery. I caught my feet on hidden roots and stumbled several times. I couldn't hear Torin behind me but I knew that he was still there. Thick dark mud splattered up and caked on the hem of my dress. I twisted my foot on a large root and crashed down. My hands flew out to catch myself. The mud clung to my hands as I stood up and kept going. I didn't know where I was going but that didn't matter. All that mattered was that I get away from the shore with all the happily reunited families choking me. After they left I could return and do a real search for Eric.

Eventually I made my way to my rock. I sat down on the cold rough surface and pulled my knees up to my chest with my dirty skirt tucked around my legs. 

'Eric will find you here' my mind whispered. 'This will be the first place that he will look.'

He knew this place. He knew that this is where I would go to wait for him. I heard the crunching of leaves behind me and I knew that Torin was making noise for my benefit. He wouldn't want to startle me. I wrapped my arms around my knees and hugged them closer. 

"He'll show up and you will have to leave," I spat at him without bothering to look back. "We're going to get married," I said. 

"Ryah" He said as he came to stand a few feet away from me. 

"You don't know what you're talking about. He will probably show up at any moment now." 

I looked up over the water that was slowly rolling into the shore. Torin stood next to me and looked out over the water with me for a moment. Then he reached into his pocket and placed something on the rock next to me. I didn't bother to look down at what it was. He reached out towards me but his hand paused a few inches away from me. Then he closed the distance and placed his large hand on my shoulder. He squeezed my shoulder once then walked away. I couldn't hear him anymore but I knew that he was probably still there somewhere watching me. 

I glanced down at the rock next to me to see what he had placed there. I felt hot tears well up when I recognized Eric's necklace. I would have recognized it anywhere. It was a simple cord with a carved stone pendant on it. I felt the hot tears well up and spill over. I remembered when I found the stone for him all those years ago. It was a deep red color. He carved it into a pendant and I wove the cord that he put it on. 

I knew that he wouldn't just abandon it.  

And if he had abandoned it, Torin wouldn't have it. I reached down to pick up the necklace and wrapped the cord around my fingers. I clenched my fist around it and brought it up to my lips. My tears dripped off of my chin. Slowly I untangled the cord from around my fingers and tied the pendant around my neck. I dropped it down the front of my dress so that it could rest against my heart. 

"He'll want it when he comes back," I whispered to myself.

I will keep it safe. 

<<<><><>>>

(TORIN)

Torin watched her as she sat on the rock and looked out over the ocean. She refused to believe that Eric was gone. It nearly broke his heart to watch her be a silent sentry waiting for the return of her lost love. Torin couldn't stop the image of Eric's lifeless body sinking below the dark glassy surface into the black waters below. Eric was gone and it was all his fault. All of the injuries and deaths were his fault. He had been careless and there had been consequences. 

His men had trusted him to keep them safe and he had failed. Torin waited at his post watching Ryah. When she left he was still standing there thinking about his failure. The sun was beginning to set when he decided to return to the village. He walked through the empty streets and listened to the celebrating families. they were overjoyed to have their fathers, sons, and brothers home. There would be a few families who weren't taking part in the celebration and Torin couldn't help but think of the reason why. He finally made it to Rollo's home and was greeted at the door. Rollo rushed out and clapped him on the back.