1. An Unwanted girl

I was around 14 at that time. My family was very annoying. My sister scorned at me. 'Witch!' she used to call me, 'Do you even look at the mirror?' Sure with my blonde hair and blue eyes I wasn't THAT attractive but come on. My mom and dad were completely obsessed with my older sister. My 'mother' always favoured my sister more. So did my dad. I had no friends either, with all the bad rumours spread about me which I suspected my sister spread.  Who cared for me anyway? I was adopted. I just couldn't understand WHY my 'family' adopted me if they just didn't love me!  Of course it hurt at times. A lot. So much that I took it all out in the form of tears. I was found at the doorstep of their house in Christmas or so my sister said. They had no choice but to accept me. I wished though, that they would have let me die in the cold than letting me endure the colder than ice feelings which they provided me with. 

***

“ Severus..  you should be the one to bring her here,” Dumbledore said.

“Why?” snape fumed, his eyes flaring up with anger.

“If Hagrid was here, you know I would have sent him. Try to understand the critical situation Severus. Besides, you can do this with so less effort. It won't even look suspicious. You can easily make her assured that she is a witch. I could have gone myself… but in the present situation…..” Dumbledore left his sentence unfinished and stared at snape from behind his half- moon spectacles.

"Critical? Is this really that important with the return of The Dark Lord?"

"All the more Severus. You're forgetting that Tom may be building up his army. Even a 14 year old amateur witch is needed."

Snape stood contemplating for a moment and then without a word, left the office, his cloak billowing behind him.

“Ah Severus, if only you knew, “Dumbledore sighed and sat down in his chair to think.

***

Someone was screaming in my dreams. It was a high pitched scream. This night too, I dreamed of a scarlet coloured train. Without waiting for me, it started off and I ran after it, my lungs feeling it would burst but I knew I had to get the train. It was like I was holding on to life. And yet, today too the train steamed past me without waiting for me. That was always how it ended and always I would get up with tears trickling down my cheeks.

 I blinked my eyes and darkness seeped through my eyelids before my room came in view. The screaming continued. I scrambled up from the bed and ran downstairs. I gasped when I saw my mom screaming her head off while a stranger clad in a queer black gown pointed a smooth stick at her. I ran down the remaining stairs and steeped in front of my mom.

“Who are you?” I commanded.

The stranger sneered, “I thought you were a coward, Elvis. I’d no idea that you were so protective of your mother.”

I shuddered, “How do you know my name?”

“Where is your sister and your father? I wanted so much to meet them too,” he retorted.

“Who are you?” I asked shrilly again, “and how do you know so much about me?”  Meanwhile it seemed, my mom was collecting herself and was trying to lift a vase to throw at the mad batman. She lifted up the vase and with all her might threw it at him. I wasn’t sure whether to laugh at the stupidity of my mom or the face of the batman as the vase was hurled at him.

He however ducked and the vase hit the wall with a deafening crash. The man glowered at my mom and was about to open his mouth when my dad and sister hurried down the stairs to see what the matter was. Both were in their night gowns and their hair was very messy.