19. Listening to Snape

“How was Snape like?” Hermione asked the next day.

“Oh…” I said vaguely. I frowned trying to remember, “I don’t know…”

“What do you mean by you don’t know?” she asked sharply.

“Well… I just don’t seem to… remember,” I squinted. What had happened? Yet, I didn’t want to remember. It was something horrible….

“But that can’t happen!”

“I- I don’t know. It must have been some lecture about studies,” I said, trying my best to remember, but all I could think of was black. “Yeah, that must be it,” she said, distracted as she saw Ron and Lavender entangled together. “Hypocrite,” a girl said from behind. We looked back at Ginny. “Seriously!” Ginny shot a filthy look at Ron’s way and shook her head disgustedly. Hermione was just ignoring Ron. “Don’t you worry Hermione,” Ginny laid a comforting hand on Hermione’s shoulder, “you’ll be all right.” “When was I never not all right?” Hermione sniffed. Involuntarily, Ginny and I caught each other’s eyes.

It turned out I might have been wrong about Hermione. I was just over exaggerating my feelings. So I let my theory die. Yet, I always wore a T-shirt underneath my robe. Just in case.

When I entered Defence Against the Dark Arts class, I felt instant fear wave inside of me. The feeling considerably enhanced when I saw Snape. Something really bad had happened. But what? Snape didn’t even look at me once. That was good, because otherwise I would have been paralyzed from fear. What had happened? I racked my brains, trying to remember. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t. Besides, the fear and the fear only were holding my attention. The mission and even the Dark Lord seemed distant. I had never felt this scared before, as far as I could remember.

I was only too glad to come out of the class, that is almost.

I was just about to exit, when Professor Snape called me, “Elvis.” Dreading, I turned to his direction. “I want to speak to you about last time’s homework.” “Homework?” I heard Hermione prompt softly. “It was a punishment actually,” Snape said, looking straight at Hermione, “I would get out from the class if I were you Miss Granger.” turning slightly pink, she got out. No! So that was what had happened when Snape had kept me yesterday. But why didn’t I remember? And what homework did I have?? Whatever it was, I hadn’t done it!

When we were alone, we both were quiet. Something really bad had happened. I didn’t want to be near Professor Snape. Something really bad had happened and it was scary. I didn’t want to be-

“I want you to continue with the mission, and I want you to tell me everything about it,” Professor said finally. One part of me instantly wanted to agree. The other though, was slightly skeptical. Why should I continue the mission? Why would I tell him everything?

“I didn’t do my homework,” I said instead. I was pleasantly surprised that my voice didn’t shake. “Of course you didn’t,” he said with a sneer.

That angered me. Remember the last class or not (it must have been dumb scolding anyway), I didn’t know why I was scared of him; and why should I fear something that I never knew why I should fear it? “I guess I’ll get going Professor Snape,” I said, “My next class will start soon.”

“Don’t forget what I said,” he said with a stony face.

“And what exactly did you say Professor?” I said cheekily and went out before he could say something else.

*

“I’m so, so, so sorry Harry,” Hermione told Harry as they went towards the library together, “I was so dumb and lame.”