10. Punishment

Dedicated to teachmehowtodougieXx

**

Professor McGonagall’s face was pale with anger, I felt she was literally shaking with it, and her lips were so thin, you couldn’t even see it. “I said, what is going on here?!”

I looked down. “Tell me!”

“Professor,” a fifth year intervened, “all of them were fighting.”

I want you all in my office at once. Potter, I’d never expected this from you. And Longbottom? Granger, I would have thought you, being a prefect would stop them! And Miss Lestrange…” People gasped hearing my name. Hermione looked up, opened her mouth to say something, and looked down again. “… shame! And,” she caught sight of Ron and Ginny, “oh my! What happened to them?” she went at once to inspect them. When she got up, she was even paler than before, “One Stupified, the other unconscious… who did this?”

I bit my lip and squeezed my eyes shut. “Who did this?” each word was pronounced with care. Her eyes travelled to everyone, and rested on me. “Professor,” I squeaked. She took a deep calming breath, and said in a forcibly controlled voice, “I want you all in my office NOW. And please, pack your bags and come. It’s such a disgrace! You all, I suppose, will get expelled.”

My eyes shot up. No! I would be killed then! It could not happen! “Professor-” Harry spoke up to disagree at the unfairness of it. “No Potter, no excuses. Nothing you do will cancel out what happened here. By five minutes, I expect all of you to come down to my office with your bags.” She left with all of us standing there in shock.

Hermione was the first to move. She went to some fifth year girl and begged silently to undo the Silencio curse. After it lifted she sat down and said, “Well?” “You all go pack your bags!” Harry shouted. His famous temper had flared up, “But I won’t get expelled when someone else is to blame!” he glared at me but I was not paying attention. I was listening to the pounding of my heart and a sinking feeling in my stomach. “If you disobey once more Harry, there’ll be more reason for you to get expelled! Maybe.. maybe Professor will forgive us…”

“I don’t care!”

“Five minutes!” I interrupted, “Five minutes! Two minutes’ are already gone. So you all are going to sit here and argue whether or not we are going to be expelled?”

“Why don’t you go, Elvis Lestrange?” Harry said venomously, “But I won’t get expelled because some.. some…”

“Some?” I prompted. “Harry, just let’s go, okay?” Hermione pulled him by his sleeve. Harry glared at her.

“Well,” Neville said quietly, “one thing is for certain.” He looked up, “My grandmother will murder me.”

“You’ve got it all wrong Neville,” I said softly, “it’s me who’ll-”

I stopped suddenly. I looked around if someone had noticed what I was about to say. Everyone was staring at me, “Well? What are you staring at me for? Just go and put Ginny and Ron in Madam Pomfrey’s hands, why don’t you? Instead of sitting uselessly and gaping?”

Some people shuffled over to them and carried them. I looked around to Hermione, Neville and Harry, “My bags are already packed because I haven’t unpacked it. You all better pack it soon.”

“Harry, Neville, let’s go!” Hermione literally pulled them. Neville walked as if in a daze. I waited for them downstairs. A minute later, all of them arrived with their trunks. “Where is your trunk Elvis?” Hermione said stiffly. I shrugged my shoulder, “Accio-”