20. Sectumsempra!

“Hermione, what the hell is this?” I pushed my DADA assignment towards her. “It would be good if you paid more attention in class,” she frowned at me, then my assignment. “Yeah, pay attention to SNAPE,” I snorted sarcastically, “Very likely.” Hermione gave me THE stern look, “You can’t say that during exams,” she said. “Right,” I hastened to agree and said, “From next time I will pay attention.” Hermione took my parchment towards her, and comparing the assignment of two of us, started making corrections.

“So,” Hermione said lightly, “What’s up with you and Draco?”

“Me and Draco,” I said guardedly but was distracted at the description, ‘YOU and Draco….’

“Elvis,” Hermione brought me back to earth.

“What were we talking about?”

Hermione gave me a confused look. “Oh yeah, me and Draco,” I said goofily. “So what’s up with the both of you?” Hermione said lightly, looking down at my parchment and pretending to make corrections. “Hermione,” I caught her arm. “Yeah?” she looked up, faking smiles.  “Will the answer matter? Will it matter to our friendship?” I wanted to know the truth.  If the answer was yes, I could already feel the hurt. And yet, I couldn’t blame her.

“Elvis, God, what is this supposed to mean, ‘the fact that Dementors sucks the soul out of the body adds icing on the cake’? You can’t write that! It’s supposed to be described in a horrib-”

“Hermione,” I interrupted her. If she had said that in other times, I would have laughed at myself, but right now, I just wasn’t in the mood. She looked up and held my hand, suddenly getting serious, “I don’t know Elvis. Will what I feel matter?” I cracked a small rueful smile, “I don’t know either. But I suppose it will. It will matter to our friendship.” “I just wanted what was going on in my friend’s life, that’s all,” she said, sincerity in her eyes, “What would you do if you were in my shoes?” “I…” I thought. Seriously, what WOULD I do? I would continue the friendship I supposed. But I still would hate Draco. I said that aloud. “That’s exactly what I feel,” Hermione smiled. I smiled back.

“But still,” Hermione continued, “I want to know.” I chuckled but then got serious again, “We… are friends.” “Nothing more than that?” Hermione said casually looking around the common room. “What do you mean?” I said quickly. “I mean, isn’t your relationship deeper?” “No,” I said a little too quickly, “I don’t feel for him that way.” “Don’t kid me. You spent-” “Just because we walk together etc doesn’t mean we are in a relationship Hermione,” I reminded her.  “Are you sure?” she asked. “Yes,” I replied. Besides, my heart already belonged to Harry no matter how much I ignored it or even, forgot about it, or got distracted. In the end, there was only one person I loved.

“So do you still feel for Harry?”

“Hermione?” I asked, shocked.  How did she know?? Seeing the shock on my face, she chuckled, “I know what it’s like to be a girl.” I rolled my eyes. I thought about it. Should I really tell her? “Yeah,” I said curtly, “True love never dies.”

*

“Something simple, something simple,” I muttered, walking up and down in the Room of Requirement. The cabinet was in front of me, its dark walls looking smug. “What could it be?” Draco passed me, his pale face looking nauseous. “When was the last time you ate something Draco?” I asked sharply. He was getting thinner and thinner. “I don’t know,” he snapped, “I have better worrisome things to think about.” I sighed, “Go down to the Great Hall.” He gave me a disbelieving glare. “The people will notice your absence,” I coaxed. “What about YOU?”