14. The culprits caught

Chapter fourteen

Tom and I parted ways to head back to our common rooms. When I arrived in the Gryffindor common room, everyone was laughing and mucking around. It was very crowded in there, but no one seemed to notice that I had come in.

I went up to my bed, and lay down on my bed. I felt tired after what Tom and I had gotten up to down in the Chamber of secrets. Slowly I drifted into a sleep. It hadn't felt like long either before I was woken up, my friend Ash was shaking me awake.

"Laylah, wake up! Guess what I just herd!"

"What?" I groaned, sitting up

"A Muggle born named Myrtle was just killed! They are going to close the school!"

"WHAT!" I jumped out of bed "You can't be serious they can't close the school" I headed down stairs into the still crowded common room. Everyone was talking about the girl who had got killed. As I walked past a group of 7th years I herd what they were saying

"Yeah, she was found dead in the girls bathroom"

"I herd her ghost had stayed there"

As I headed to a spare lounge with Ash I could no longer hear anymore of there conversation. 'Could it be the girl I herd crying before I went into the chamber' I wondered then begin to feel bad for not going back and helping her like I was planning to. 'Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference, she probably still would have got killed anyways' I tried to reassure myself

"What's wrong Laylah?" Ash looked at me concerned.

"Oh nothing, just wondering if Tom had herd the bad news'' I lied, but then I really did began to wonder. Tom would have to go back and live at the orphanage if the school closed down, and I knew he wouldn't like that one bit.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Professor McGonagall had entered the Gryffindor common room. Everyone went silent waiting for her to speak.

"The culprit has been caught," she announced. ''Everyone to the great hall, Dumbledore wishes to speak to the whole school"

Everyone got up and headed out the portrait. 'Oh no Tom has been caught, he's going to be expelled' I sat at the Gryffindor table when I arrived in the great hall, Ash sat next to me.

"I wonder who it was?" Ash said to me "Bet you it was a Slytherin"

I didn't say anything, I looked around at the Slytherin table, and to my surprise Tom was sitting with his friends with a smirk on his face.

"As you may of herd today, a young girl was killed in the girls bathroom today" Dumbledore announced to the school "A tragic event of course, but I have some great news also, the school will not be closed, the culprit has been caught. And now I have an award to present to the one who had caught him " Dumbledore looked over at everyone's faces, then laid eyes over at the Slytherin table.

"Tom Riddle, come up here please" Dumbledore beckoned towards Tom, who stood up and walked up towards the front of the school, his head held high.

"Professor" Tom greeted Dumbledore.

"Tom here was the one who had caught the culprit, and a metal for his services to the school will be placed in the trophy room, Thank you Tom" Dumbledore then shook Tom's hand. Some of the other teacher got up and shook Tom's hand as well. Tom went back down and took his seat; a lot of cheering came from the Slytherin student as he went by.

'I can't believe this' I thought 'who did Tom blame his own work on'

I looked over at Tom and he turned towards me, an evil smirk came across his lips and he nodded at me. I turned back around and faced the front again.

"Now everyone if you could head back to your house rooms, classes will return as normal tomorrow. Oh and don't forget to study end of year exams will commence in two weeks, thank you"

Everyone got up and left and headed towards their common rooms. As I laid in bed that night a thought had struck me, tomorrow was the Quidditch cup finals, we were Versing Slytherin, how could of I forgot!

I fell asleep that night feeling very nervous about the next day a head of me.

***

Don't forget to vote (Sorry it was such a short chapter)